RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a cheap $180 set of boards from Ebay and tried to have them installed by my indy and they wanted me to see what they would look like and they looked horrible. The gap between the body and the front flap was about a half-inch and they could not apply any tape or other measure as there was no ridge on the flap to put it so I had them just stop and remove the boards. So I am looking for a real set with great fit and finish that I don't have to pay dealer prices for.

I have found this: http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/side-steps-l322-britpart-vub503660-p-32749.html

Also this one: http://www.lrparts.net/range-rover-vogue-side-steps-include-front-mudflaps-and-hard-plastic-trimming-for-all-range-rover-l322.html

They look just like the cheap ones I got but don't know if they are better or not. Most of the older threads had links that were bad or they just take me back to the home page.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
Well......I might be in the same boat. I just opened the box for my $180 ebay specials about 10 minutes ago. Im actually surprised by the fit and finish. The top deck is a rubber material and not a vac formed plastic. The Hyper Silver trim has a clear coat on it.

I watched the Power UK videos on how to do the install. I thought is was an hour job max, but it appears to to have some tricks and hidden 'gotchas' in order to make them fit properly.

Regarding the front flap, you have to drill two holes in the body plastic under the side vents. Once these are drilled the mudflap snugs up to the body. I dont want to second guess your Indy as you might have a poorly made kit.

Ill make a thread with pics of my install over the weekend when I get my RR back from the shop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im about 3/4th finished due to the sun going down. Thoughts....you get what you pay for. With that said, the cheepo's arent that bad, its the hardware that comes with it that needs to be chucked. Go to Home Depot and get new bolts, nuts, washers then go to Pep Boys for the 2 'tree fittings'.

OP, there are 2 holes that need to be drilled into the plastic panel under the side vents. This is what snugs up the front mud flap. They are injected molded and need some trimming to sit flush, took about 2 minutes with a Dremmel Tool. On the stock flaps, there is a definitive inner corner on the inner body curve. The aftermarket units dont have the inner corner (they are rounded)......Dremmel tool to the rescue. This, combined with not drilling the attachment holes in the plastic body panel will result in a gap between the body and the mud flap.

Perfect scenario would have been to find a used set of Craigslist like Brad said.

The head scratch-er was the two back bolts by the Pressure Tank on the right side. There is a stock brace that needs to come off with a 8pt socket. Once off, you can take a pry bar and nudge over the tank towards the outside enough to get enough clearance to attach the 2 aft bolts and washers.

As I previously said, you could have a crappy-mis welded set of boards (totally plausable). But, after actually installing most of mine today, it just takes a bit of ingenuity. You installer might have just thrown in the towel...I almost did when I didnt know how to push the air tank aside enough to get the mounting bolts to thread.

Side Note: Some of the information on the PowerUK YouTube Vids state the right side-aft bolts by the Air Tank are factory installed. Mine were not (NAM). Also some of the big bolts holes were covered by factory installed round stickers, not a biggie, just peel them off. There are some underbody panels that need to be trimmed with a Dremmel tool or snips. The PowerUk Vid is accurate in this respect.

I just need to do the right front mud flap in the AM and its done. So for the $$ Im happy.......but Im still looking for a deal like Brad hahah.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got mine installed, was 2 hours of labor and it looks way better than before! Guess the other indy shop did not know what they were doing. It was not a perfect fit but they do the job and are nice and sturdy, also the rubber top is pretty nice, not real slippery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good to hear. I remember when these Ebay specials came out a few years ago and were going for $500. Im happy with mine, and the wife is really happy with them. I also found a color coded OEM wrap around brush bar (Chawton White). So....a little face lift for the girl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts