RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Thank you for all of your help through the last few months. You've all been very helpful.

Hopefully this will be all done soon.
Here is my latest problem. When I pulled the motor, (which ran poorly) everything spun cleanly and smoothly. I pulled all apart and rebuilt. New cam, new bearings, new timing chain, new gaskets, cleaned up everything internally.
The old chain had a bit of play in it, which I was expecting. The new chain was very tight. Is that normal?
Once the engine was reassembled, it was much much harder to turn. Is this normal?
Now I have everything back together and cannot get it to start.
The battery is new however it sounds like it has about 30% life. Like it is having a hard time turning the engine.
I have fuel and I have spark.
Anybody know what I am dealing with here?

Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
368 Posts
A newly assembles engine can be tight if the clearances are wrong. Although it might free itself off, this could cause damage to the various surfaces. Particularly the bearing shells on the crank can bind and normally you check by spinning the crank every time you install a new set.

Newly honed cylinder bores are (and should be) rough. The (new) rings will need to bed in, or rather the roughness of the cylinder walls will be scraped smooth while maintaining enough grooves to hold the lubrication. During this phase the pistons will see more resistance in the bores and within a few miles of driving the resistance will drop significantly.

I presume you used an assembly lub? It would be worth spinning the oil pump for a while using a drill to check you have good oil flow and to get fresh oil wherever needed. To spin the oil pump you remove the distributor and connect to the flat faced oil pump shaft. I think a 1/2" socket extension inserted to wrong way around gives sufficient purchase. You can buy a dedicated tool for this. Basically you spin just the pump and not the engine.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
try spinning the engine by hand and as "JS" suggested, lube should have been used during the assembly process as well as constant turning of the engine during every and all procedures, that way you get a feel of how tight it is getting and locate ahead any issues during assembly.
then there are others which just assemble tight.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the replies.
I assembled the engine with assembly lube.
I just primed the oil. Easier process then originally thought.
Actually got it to start up, however did not stay running.
Did find some oil leaks after that.
Think I will get her to the mechanic and have him finish her up.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
770 Posts
If you’ve had it running, your nearly there, if you had a crank regrind you need it running at 2000rpm for 15-20 minutes to bed everything in.
how long did you have it running, how was temperature, normally needs a coolant top up after a start up,
re the chain being tight, how tight are you talking, it should have a tiny bit of play, but as it doesn’t have a tensioner not a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts