RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Do we akll want a "fabrication" section added?

• Yes it would be good to see what other members have made, and get feedback from "shop" guys who can

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will try this again....
Other forums I frequent have a "fabrication forum" which enables other members to see how things have been made, get opinions on which welder to buy, are the Chinese plasma cutters worth the money, which is the best spindle kit for a tire carrier, which winch do I need to fit an ARB bumper, and so on.
This is NOT any kind of selling forum for myself or any others, just an idea due to more and more people wishing to modify their own rigs etc.
Check out the fabrication forum found here ( I know, a Jeep site, sorry :oops: ) and see if something like that should/could be added here?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/
Thoughts?

Martin

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Firstly mate, good luck with the venture. About time too! :lol: BTW, is a Jonny Joint like a rose joint?

Related to this post, I think you'll have a major uphill battle getting any sort of extra forum set up. I know from my time as a mod (minion), there was talk that the forum would not be expanded, all without much open debate. It's hard enough getting a sticky accepted. Saying that though, maybe a sticky could be a good start point (if you can get it accepted at management level)? :think:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: Maybe rename this post the Fab Forum? Carl will never know... :lol:

I know one idea is racks. I noticed someone selling an SD rack in the sale/wanted forum for $850 and that's second hand. There is a guy making Discovery racks in the UK and selling them via eBay. I was talking to a UK forum member who used on on a trip to N Africa and carried spare tyres and jerry cans over some pretty harsh terrain (not your idea of harsh mate - just fast rough road). What I'm saying is that they aren't perfect but good enough to use in mild anger. Here is a link to them:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LandyRax

I think he may also have been making A bars but due to the naff EU rules we have here, I think someone threw a spanner in the works for him.

Anyway, I think the price and product make it an idea purchase. I may get one for my Td5 Discovery and see how good they are. Isn't there quite a number of DiscoII's in North America.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few DII's over here yes.
I do have a $850 tubing bender, so bending tubing without kinking it isn't an issue. Just need to get the die's I need (@$175 each!)

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
detroit_pierogi said:
Hey Martin,

Are you familiar with Harbor Freight stores ?

Dan
Yes sir I am.
Got one @30 miles from us, have bought a few of the bigger tools (band saw) from there.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I mention Harbor Freight, because their prices are almost amazingly low on all kinds of stuff.

If you didn't already know about it, I was going to suggest that you stop at one during your travels - for the amount of money you could save if you were in need of tools, machines, etc.

The one close to my work has all kinds of metal working stuff - bending, folding, rolling, shaping, etc.

They also have a bunch of stuff online that they don't have in the stores - which they can have delivered to a store.

And it's the only place I have been to that actually sells anvils. In more than one size. It gets me every time. :lol:

(I think you have to have watched a lot of Bugs Bunny as a kid in order to find anvils to be almost inherently funny).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I think this is a great Idea Martin.. :clap: We keep this Vendor thing up and the preferred color is going to become blue. :lol:

Scotty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts