RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2012 RRS about 3 months and still can't get to grips with the way the the automated/assisted trunk door opening works. It seems ridiculously finicky.

Whenever I click the "trunk open" button on the remote, it will usually just unlock (so the door opens maybe 1/4 of an inch) then immediately close/lock again. Sometimes it opens to only about waist height, Very rarely it opens fully, as I would like it to. It seems marginally less finicky when using the trunk handle button than the remote, but really hardly any better. It may be my imagination but holding down either button rather than just clicking it seems to help sometimes.

There's nothing blocking the door, no feeling of unusual mechanical resistance (that might cause it to stop) when I move the door manually, as far as I can see no optical sensors around the door that might be blocked, so I'm thinking this insane behavior is actually by design (for safety or something), but there's nothing to describe it (and how to avoid it) in the manual. My latest theory is that it is opening or not depending on what it can see in the rear view camera. Is this possible?

I've already (several times now) set the "programmed position" with the door fully open and holding down the close button until it chimes, however that hasn't helped.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any answers? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is hilarious! (So to speak) I am having the exact same issue with my tailgate. Press the button once on the remote, and it works the same way you described. I even have an issue when I use the tailgate release button on the dash. That one less frequently. Is it a sensor thing? Can it be "reset" somehow? Don't really want to take it to the dealership just yet, only had it for three weeks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine does the same, usually after it fails the first time it works the second time you try to open it, I tried to figure it out with aligning the tailgate thinking angle could cause strain on one of the struts but nothing worked. I’m also curious if anyone else has a solution

2012 RRS S/C

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
This has been happening to me for the past month... No idea in what the issue is.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine does this too. Dealer tried figuring it out. They couldn’t. I was over it. I just live with it. Nothing is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, I'm guessing this is a more common problem then is let on. I'm wondering if it is maybe the latch assembly in the actual door that may not be opening fully when activated, and it's catching on the part attached to the floor of the trunk area. This would make sense, as the computer would think it's binding or jamming on something and won't allow the door to open. Any thoughs? How would this theory be tested, AND can you buy a replacement latch for the door?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just noticed for the first time yesterday there actually is a small device that looks like an optical ranging sensor on the underside of the rear wing (just left of the center brake light) It has two led-looking things, I'm guessing one may be an IR transmitter and the other a receiver? It is also angled such that it looks like its looking for obstructions behind the rear tailgate. I guess it could also be a (possibly IR) light source for the rear view camera at night. Anyone have a clue what it actually does?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts