RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Gems P38 dead in the water. I've had some issues recently starting the truck. Seems to not hold pressure overnight and won't turn over the first time. Usually catches on the second. Recently however, it's been very difficult to start. It would vary, but most commonly just stumble and die the first couple times. Initial idle has been strange as well. When it would catch the second or third go, it would idle at 1500 until it warmed up. I didn't like that for a cold engine, so I would shift into drive as soon as I could and just putter along slowly u yup warm. Figured it was the stepper and that I would change it out in the next day or so. I'd say it was also down on power, but how can you really tell in one of these ?

Fuel pump pressure hasn't always been great, but good enough at around 32 PSI and varying with throttle. Now it's zero. I also checked the filter and I have a spare just in case. I disconnected the filter and left the low side open to see if I can get any fuel out of it when I turn the key. Nothing. I carry spare relays and none of them got the fuel pressure to the rail. I'm alone, so I can't listen for the click of the relay, but I can't imagine all five spares are bad.

Am I missing something? It's got to be the fuel pump, right? I have a rebuild kit on board, but I'm going to have to cut the rear seat to get to it as my fuel tank is brimming full. Anyone got any other ideas? Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

All the best – Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are two possibilities here. One is that the pump is getting no voltage, or the pump itself is bad. Based on your post, it appears that the dying pump finally died. If someone could show me how to use the RAVE, I could walk some of these good people through some troubleshooting, using a test light. Any one game? Ray

·
Registered
313 Posts
1998 Gems P38 dead in the water. I've had some issues recently starting the truck. Seems to not hold pressure overnight and won't turn over the first time. Usually catches on the second. Recently however, it's been very difficult to start. It would vary, but most commonly just stumble and die the first couple times. Initial idle has been strange as well. When it would catch the second or third go, it would idle at 1500 until it warmed up. I didn't like that for a cold engine, so I would shift into drive as soon as I could and just putter along slowly u yup warm. Figured it was the stepper and that I would change it out in the next day or so. I'd say it was also down on power, but how can you really tell in one of these ?

Fuel pump pressure hasn't always been great, but good enough at around 32 PSI and varying with throttle. Now it's zero. I also checked the filter and I have a spare just in case. I disconnected the filter and left the low side open to see if I can get any fuel out of it when I turn the key. Nothing. I carry spare relays and none of them got the fuel pressure to the rail. I'm alone, so I can't listen for the click of the relay, but I can't imagine all five spares are bad.

Am I missing something? It's got to be the fuel pump, right? I have a rebuild kit on board, but I'm going to have to cut the rear seat to get to it as my fuel tank is brimming full. Anyone got any other ideas? Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

All the best – Dave
Certainly sounds like the fuel pump has died. Mine quit on me as well. Car would only drive at 20mph with fits and coughs until it finally died right in my driveway. Zero fuel pressure. I doubt you have an electrical problem provided your fuses are good. Not a bad idea to replace the pump in any case as it can leave you stranded away from home and it is not easy to get a garage to obtain and install a replacement pump not to mention the cost. I cut the hole in the floor behind the passengers seat. It was pretty straigntforward to pull out the pump frame and just replace the pump which I bought on Amazon (but can't find the order). I think I posted what pump I bought. It was only around $55. After changing the pump the car would still crank a bit before firing up. I think the pressure regulator was not maintaining pressure in the injection rails. Never got around to fixing that before selling the vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! Sure enough, it was the fuel pump. With a brimmed tank, I had no choice but to cut. I actually like the idea of easy access in the future, even if it never is needed. I did a rebuild kit for my old pump housing, so I'm not worried if something goes wrong as I can do it again with ease. Seemed like good quality components and I feel good about my work. Pics below of my access if anyone wants to see the bare minimum. Used a cut off wheel on a drill so I could really control the depth as the slow rpms eliminate diving and sparks. Really belabored the decision to cut, but I see it as an upgrade to me personally. All my '95 classics have it and I love the convenience.

So with the recent tune up I did, including a new NGK coil pack rail, and now the fuel pump, the truck drives like new. Well, better ?

Thanks for all the tech advice/threads here on the site. I was able to cut with precision and confidence. I cheated it as small as I could get away with, thus allowing for enough flat surface on the high side of the corrugated metal to fit some kind of finishing/sealing trim. Well, one day. I think it turned out well.

Out on a shake down run right now to celebrate. Cheers!

All the best-Dave

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts