RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im trying to trouble shoot a problem i am having with my air suspension on my 2003 Range Rover HSE. i got out the car and it just let all the air out of the front driver strut but the rest were still aired up so at first i thought maybe i had punctured it, but then after i started it up and got it to the shop it raised all the struts up and locked itself into off road mode with the warning message *air suspension disabled* and now 3 days later they are still aired up so now i know atleast that the struts arent damaged and it must be an electrical problem. since only 1 of the struts was malfunctioning before the whole thing locked up, my first guess is maybe a height sensor. does anyone have any feedback they can give me on these symptoms? as well as what would the system or software i can use to diagnose it?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Pulling the actual error codes would give you a pretty good idea what is going on. THere is an entire section below for diagnostic gear, what each can do and which ones are free for you purpose.

·
Banned
901 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
THere would be no need to replace the strut until he does basic leak detection at all settings. Even if he throws a new strut into the mix he still would not be able to clear the code or know what the root of the issue was. Start with the basics and work up instead of blindly guessing or handing over money for something you may not need.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
A faulty height sensor or a short/open circuit in its wiring can indeed cause the behaviour you observed. When it first goes faulty the ECU will 'believe' the false reading that it sends, in your case that the corner is much higher than it should be and will react by letting air out of the strut to lower it. At some point it will figure out that the readings from the sensor are not making sense and will go into a safe-mode, ignoring it and guesstimating the height of that corner based on the readings from the remaining three good ones. Once in safe mode it will just try to maintain a fixed height as best it can.

However as RRtoadhall suggested your first step should be to get the fault codes and also have a look at the readings coming from the sensors - a faulty one will almost certainly be easy to spot.

If you do not have the tool available yet then while you're waiting for it I would suggest thouroughly checking the wiring and connectors of the sensor. The wiring is uncharacteristically fragile for a Land Rover and can very easily be damaged by flying stone chippings and such.

Also worth trying is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after some time. That will reset the ECU and there is a small possibility that it will fix the issue if it was just some transient electrical problem. If the sensor or its wiring is actually faulty you may see a repeat of what already happened, that is a full deflation of the corner recovering later when it goes once again into safe mode.

If the problem is still there wait for the diagnostic tool to arrive before you start replacing stuff or may end up replacing everything except the faulty bit.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Maybe rrth but if those are original 03 struts its not throwing money away its preventative mantenance at the worst.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts