RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Long time Rover owner here. Had membership years ago and lost account info. I’ve owned Range Rovers since 1999 and one of my current models (2011 HSE) is experiencing some strange issues. The right front air bag releases air for no reason causing the entire vehicle to rear on bump stops. I jacked it up, assuming it was a leaking bag, but no luck. Amazing, when I put the vehicle back down, it raised right up and drove fine for a month. Last week, I heard a hissing noise once again coming from the right front feel and, lo and behold, the front dropped followed by the rear. Jacked it up again, started the engine, and the airbags filled up and it drove fine until today. I know it’s not the air bag because it holds air for weeks on end when sitting (I don’t drive this one much) until something happens that makes it release air quickly. My only thought is height sensor is bad. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
1995 p38a
38 Posts
There was an issue with battery acid leaking into the plastic hose for that corner of the truck years ago. Check that. But it honestly sounds like you have a leaking air spring.

Do this, raise the suspension all the way up, see if if makes the noise, then put it all the way down. Again listen for the noise. It's most likely one spot in the air spring that leaks when it moves. The air springs are rubber and will deteriorate over time after all... And the rear is dropping down to compensate and attempt to keep the vehicle level. Replace the right front air spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. It does fine in extended and drive modes. If I lower it to exit mode, it won’t go back up. I’ve had leaking air springs before and this is acting totally different. And when it bleeds air, from the hose or bag, it does so immediately. If I let it sit a day or two, it’ll raise back up and drive fine about a week or two until the next time it decides to drop. Does this change your thoughts, or still replace airbag?

There was an issue with battery acid leaking into the plastic hose for that corner of the truck years ago. Check that. But it honestly sounds like you have a leaking air spring.

Do this, raise the suspension all the way up, see if if makes the noise, then put it all the way down. Again listen for the noise. It's most likely one spot in the air spring that leaks when it moves. The air springs are rubber and will deteriorate over time after all... And the rear is dropping down to compensate and attempt to keep the vehicle level. Replace the right front air spring.

·
Registered
1995 p38a
38 Posts
The most likely culprit is the bag. But there is a chance there's an issue inside the sensor. You could try jacking up the wheel by the control arm and see what happens. Definitely need to inspect it further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts