RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wonder whether anyone has successfully refurbished the black edges of the centre console side panels. The sides in my motor have gone sort of soft and a bit sticky. I suspect that it has been caused by using interior polish.

The edges seem to be a sort of rubbery finish, and it has started to scrape off in places. The electric window/sunroof switch panel is the same but I decided to go the whole hog and scrape off the sticky surface and go back to the plastic [abs] under-surface. I have polished it with a black polish and it is pretty close to the original, so that it isn't obvious that the panel was stripped back.

The problem with the console side panels is that the under-colour is lightstone [beige] and where the black surface has been scraped it is possible to see the beige colour underneath. I am considering stripping off the black finish and repainting the edges with black, matt, modelling paint. I wonder whether anyone has had to do this ?

I have a walnut window/sunroof switch panel which matches the gearshift panel, so that will replace the re-polished black panel, but I can't really justify £400 or £500 on buying more walnut panels. The problem that I found on other cars is it can be very hit or miss when it comes to buying wood panels from other cars, often the pattern, or colour, or shade doesn't match the existing trim.

Lastly, if I do paint the edges then I suppose that they will stand out against the HEVAC and the clock and top switch panel. So, will I have to remove everything and repaint everything. Or, maybe I just bite the bullet and hope that if I buy second hand walnut panels then everything will match.

I would be interested in hearing if some-one else has had a similar issue, and how was it resolved.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
I have used a product "Trim Kote" from Detaiking.com

Works great.

You will also want to remove the part that covers the radio and all the switches (headlights, fog lights, etc) since the color will not match. It is more of a black so it won't match the binnacle cover that covers the instrument panel but its not bad.

This product is also great on the bumpers, door handles, grill and the back corners.

A little pricey at $40 for 16oz but worth it.

Don't use it direct sunlight or went it is hot.

Also, don't get the revival. Just buy DKTKBL

·
Registered
165 Posts
I stripped the flocked pillars internally and used matte black plasti-dip on them. Turned out ok. The flocking was ghastly.

I have also used the metallic silver plasti-dip on my cayenne gear shift surround and rear badge, this actually looks very good as I did better prep and took my time. Lasted about two years now and still looks as good as when I did it.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
If you've got Lightstone underneath black, it sounds like someone has painted the black on. Centre console side panels would be either plain black plastic or lightstone depending on the trim.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I used rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) on rag to wipe over the edges of the side trim panels. It removed the stickyness and scuff marks.
I am a bit hesitant to recommend it as it will take the complete surface off if you are not careful.
It was just a quick wipe with a few drops on a lint free cloth. I did not use it on the padded parts or any of the switch panels, just the hard sides of the central console.
I messed up the plastic surround on the rear ash tray. I used too much and the black plastic ABS showed through. I ended up painting it.
It would be a good idea to test out solvents first on an old unwanted trim panel. I don't think petrol would work but methylated spirits might be ok.
Do not use acetone, it dissolves ABS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave - I am concerned that if I paint the edges of the side panels they will stand out too much. I was thinking about cleaning of the rubberised surface and repainting the edges with model making matt black acrylic paint. The only thing is that the edges will look out of place against the upper section that contains the clock and suspension switches.

Richard - the edges of the centre console in my vehicle are finished in a sort of rubberised finish. At least that is what I think it is, as it is slightly sticky. Although this could have been caused by the incorrect type of trim/upholstery cleaner. There are a couple of scratches on the side trim and you can see the lightstone showing underneath.

The last resort may be having to buy a walnut upper panel to match the existing electric window switch panel and the gearshift panel.

Pierre3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts