RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Range Rover Sport Starts, but won't shift to Neutral, Reverse or Drive. It is Stuck in Park.

I can't remove the Level to check if anything is broken underneath.

Help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Search this forum. There is a DIY fix for this with step by step instructions that someone posted last year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it...

Thanks. I searched before, but I didn't use the word "Shifter"

Thanks again...What a save!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great design for Land Rover. Big Bucks making scheme. I fixed mine with an Epoxy “Q-Bond” and reinforced it with the powder in the kit.

There's a misunderstanding with the "Slider" part of an explanation by another member on this forum. Understand well, without his post, I wouldn't be able to fix mine. However, I was looking for some type of switch that “Slides” side to side. It is rather an elevator type of design switch. It pushes down on two small clear rubber pads like in remote control. When the piece broke, the rest of the level sat at the bottom of the "Up-down Slider" if that’s a better word description.

After the repair or replace it with a new one. You must push unto that black elevator design piece to place the pointer in the proper spot. The pointer pushes unto the black-elevator piece which in turn pushes down unto the clear pads.

The design flaw or genius of the design depends on where you are on the giving or receiving end of the big bucks for the repair. It should have been one uniform width; they designed it instead with a smaller pointer, and it will certainly fail (brake) sooner rather than later. Alternatively, just have the thing in some type of metal like aluminum.

When I receive my piece. I'll try to try to attach pictures of my rumbling here. Maybe it will make more sense.

I wanted to post this brief explanation of the "Slider" now, even before I receive the new level because it is very important to you place the level in the right spot. The whole thing is so delicate, and with frustration, you might break it, and make thing a lot worse.

I can’t imagine dropping or picking up my kid from school in one of the most expensive cars, then this mess happens. What a humiliation that would be!
The worst part of it. There’s no warning like most another thing in a car.

I have been looking at how to force my 2016-RRS on Neutral, but I can’t find anything on You-Tube or in this Forum. The 2017-2018 has a simple design to place it in Neutral, even when the truck is hot. I saw something on you-tube on the 2016 Evoque, but I can’t locate that switch on my 2016-RRS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great design for Land Rover. Big Bucks making scheme. I fixed mine with an Epoxy “Q-Bond” and reinforced it with the powder in the kit.

There's a misunderstanding with the "Slider" part of an explanation by another member on this forum. Understand well, without his post, I wouldn't be able to fix mine. However, I was looking for some type of switch that “Slides” side to side. It is rather an elevator type of design switch. It pushes down on two small clear rubber pads like in remote control. When the piece broke, the rest of the level sat at the bottom of the "Up-down Slider" if that’s a better word description.

After the repair or replace it with a new one. You must push unto that black elevator design piece to place the pointer in the proper spot. The pointer pushes unto the black-elevator piece which in turn pushes down unto the clear pads.

The design flaw or genius of the design depends on where you are on the giving or receiving end of the big bucks for the repair. It should have been one uniform width; they designed it instead with a smaller pointer, and it will certainly fail (brake) sooner rather than later. Alternatively, just have the thing in some type of metal like aluminum.

When I receive my piece. I'll try to try to attach pictures of my rumbling here. Maybe it will make more sense.

I wanted to post this brief explanation of the "Slider" now, even before I receive the new level because it is very important to you place the level in the right spot. The whole thing is so delicate, and with frustration, you might break it, and make thing a lot worse.

I can’t imagine dropping or picking up my kid from school in one of the most expensive cars, then this mess happens. What a humiliation that would be!

The worst part of it. There’s no warning like most other things in a car that might go wrong.

I have been looking at how to force my 2016-RRS on Neutral, but I can’t find anything on You-Tube or in this Forum. The 2017-2018 has a simple design to place it in Neutral, even when the truck is hot. I saw something on you-tube on the 2016 Evoque, but I can’t locate that switch on my 2016-RRS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2014 rrs electronic shift also stuck in park. We pulled the cup holder and follow the YouTube instructions to access it. Had to get it tow to dealer. $1300 to replace. Apparently dealer has had to replace 4-5 of these in the recent months.

So it does happen.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Having read about this issue and knowing how prevalent it is, it is pretty scary that it can happen at any time.

I read the DIY post, and after having a tire/rim issue recently and needing a tow, this is not something I want to repeat.

My solution: I ordered a mini screw set with the Torx 8 screw which I will keep in the car, and also ordered the LR117072 replacement kit (~$65) off ebay to keep on hand. Sounds like in a pinch all you need is to remove the cover and access and push the selector to get the car moving, and replacing the part doesn't sound very difficult.

·
Registered
113 Posts
^ thanks

but there is nothing different with the kit you ordered, so that one could also fail the same way?

Is there no better aftermarket replacement kit?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There's one for sale from the foreign website (I think it's in the DIY thread) that seems to be a different material and may be better, but it's really shiny and not the same look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Hodog16
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing