Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon purchase I received 1 standalone key and 1 working fob. The seller was using the standalone key and had the fob tucked away in the house. The fob works, I have since changed the battery in the vehicle and the fob stopped working till I inserted the keyfob in the ignition and it synchronized. I have also changed the battery's in the fob and it works.
So my question is when traveling should I do?

1.Take and use standalone key only.
2.Take and use standalone key and carry fob.
3.Take and use standalone key and leave fob hidden in vehicle.
4.Take fob only and use key in fob to lock and unlock.
5.Take and use fob normally and leave spare key at home like the rest of the world?
IMG_0074.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Use the fob all the time and use the valet key for what it was intended, for valet use (as it probably won't work in the glovebox lock) and in an emergency. The mechanical linkage was never designed to be used all the time, solely in an emergency, and once that breaks or comes away, you are locked out.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
5 for sure. If you have a working fob, why wouldn't you use it??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely makes sense to use the fob but considering they are more than difficult to replace I was thinking to preserve it as long as possible. I did just notice that other thread about getting programmed replacements from a UK source. I will be keeping my eye on that.

Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Use the fob. Life is too short not to use a fob. I just got my replacement fob from Classic Rides of North Wales. It works fine so if your really worried get a backup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use the fob. Life is too short not to use a fob. I just got my replacement fob from Classic Rides of North Wales. It works fine so if your really worried get a backup.
You are right life is to short to sweat the small stuff, Hense the purchase of the P38. I want to go out driving something I actually enjoy. I will be contacting Classic Rides for that replacement soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts