RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing sometimes it wont come out of park , after checking other things found the brake lights & climate control didnt work either . So checked all fuses but all ok . .Found that pulling out fuse 17 & putting it back in it all worked again . This has happened several times now , would it be a fault in the BECM ? . I now tend to leave it in neutral when i park & lock the car up.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
247 Posts
When you say it won't come out of park, do you mean the gear selection handle won't physically move out of park? If so, sounds like the transmission interlock solenoid has failed. It's a pretty common thing on these. I just disabled mine all together when mine failed and it's a pretty easy thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Wasn't aware that the Oz spec cars also had the shift interlock,I thought that was only on NAS cars? However, Fuse 17 feeds the brake lights and HEVAC from the only connector the back of the BeCM accessible from the rear footwell. It isn't unknown for the terminal in the connector to burn causing a bad connection. Check that too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
OZ / NZ, what's the difference :) (runs for cover...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you check the switch that the brake pedal contacts ( backside of brake pedal) ?
The issue with the fuse might be the fuse box having lose solder on circuit board.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes its a japan import to NZ called a Destiny might disable the lock if it keeps doing it ive already checked brake light switch & fuse box connections . 7 sprayed liberal WD40 over them

·
Registered
920 Posts
My solenoid interlock went bad around 2 years ago, so I suppose it's about the time frame when these things break down. It's really easy to disable it, and there is no need to break them, either. There's an excellent writeup on how to accomplish the job on this forum. I would advise you to do the job sooner than later. I had a scare in a drive thru hamburger joint when I couldn't get out of park. Fortunately, after turning the ignition on/off a few times, I was able to get it out of park. Definitely, not a pleasant experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts