RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a used transmission in a 2010 to 2013 rangerover sport sc? What were the results? Where did yu get it done. And how much did it cost? Thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
323 Posts
Hi. Mine was replaced by the dealer with new one so I do not have first hand knowledge but as far as I know it is not a simple bolt-off / on
what I read about the subject - you'd need to carry over a controller part of your mechatronic or face the fact that You'd need to take the truck to the dealer afterwards for replacement tranny to be synced with ECM.
Also, if you'd be taking off mechatronic - plenty of videos about that on youtube, you should order set of sleeves from ZF and replace them, also there is a set of valves/clutches available too that is also being recommended to be replaced. Replacing those will ensure smooth operation in the future. Also - body would have to come off the chassis, Unlike full size LR, BMW and other vehicles that use this ZF Tranny, RRS has a chassis crossmember right under Transmission that gives you hell while simply changing fluid/filter, forget about whole tranny swap.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
680 Posts
I have not direct experience so I cannot comment on using a used box, however given the price you will pay for a good transmission (expensive for good, cheap for no good), you might as well just get your transmission rebuilt and an authorised ZF service agent. Dont forget the torque converter as well.

Garry

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Unfortunately I do. Our 2011 lost first gear at 80k miles. Had it replaced with one I found on ebay out of a wrecked LR4 with about 40k miles. I took the original box apart and couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it. It was an independent shop and it seems like labor was around $2500. Problem was, the doofus who owned the supposed Land Rover specialty shop in OKC didn't have the proper gear or know-how to reset the "new" trans to our truck. He even drove it 40 miles round trip in 2nd gear to some other shop trying to get help.

Got it back with 1st and 2nd gears only. Took the pan down in my driveway, switched our original mechtronic unit in and it worked perfectly. I'd do the job myself if I had it all to do over again. Conclusion, you can swap in a new used trans, just move your mechtronic unit over.

As mentioned above, change out all the "consumables" before buttoning things back up. I'd still like to find someone help me fix the one sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Guys google Lucky8 LLC, off road Range Rover. They have a tranny rebuild kit on eBay pretty cheap. Same with diffs. Search on eBay for it too.

Google Unitrax Anaheim, CA they rebuild them too.

Google The Rover Spot Sun Valley, ca they have used trannys that work guaranteed and I think they ship.

Plus AAMCO should be pretty competitive in rebuilding it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

(I used to have a 2006 face lifted Sport I converted to a 2013 look.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts