RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have noticed that my 2005 Range Rover doesn't want to upshift after climbing steep inclines at slow speeds. For example, if I am climbing a very steep mountain road for an extended period of time at slower speeds once I reach the top the transmission still hangs in the lower gear as if I am still climbing the hill. Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas? The transmission shifts great and as expected otherwise.

Thanks!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
It’s probably just the controller taking a little while to un-learn that it has automatically selected its ‘hill mode’. If the controller detects a combination of high engine torque, low engine speed and large throttle angle it interprets this to be the vehicle travelling up a steep gradient and it adopts a different shift map (one of three, actually, depending on the severity) to hold the transmission in the lower gears.

Another possibility is that your transmission fluid is overheating as a result of the hill climb and the controller is entering its ‘cooling strategy mode’ which inhibits upshifts to keep the engine speed high and therefore the transmission oil pump at its highest flow output to the cooler. I assume though that you're not seeing the 'TRANSMISSION OVERHEAT' message?

Phil

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Phil! That is what I assumed was probably going on but wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this as being a common or normal occurrence. I am not getting a Transmission overheat message and the transmission was recently serviced at 112,000 miles (when I purchased the vehicle ) using ZF fluid and a ZF filter kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts