RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission will not start on the selector is moved to drive D you have to move the selector to 1 start moving forward and then move the selected to drive in the transmission as normal, as soon as you're slow down below 5 mph it'll come out of gear has to stop and you have to should switch back to gear 1 then move forward again and then switch to drive as you drive. I've had a check to the transmission shop at LanD Rover dealer. they said it was internal but when when the TCM is disconnected it will start and drive normally I try to use TCM and it doesn't change what it's doing I also have the output speed sensor it's her changed because it was throwing that code. The fluid and the filter has been changed and has been refilled. I've read some things about the XYZ switch could it be this or one of the solenoids that controls the transmission? It is a 2002 4.6 HSE P38

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
My transmission will not start on the selector is moved to drive D you have to move the selector to 1 start moving forward and then move the selected to drive in the transmission as normal, as soon as you're slow down below 5 mph it'll come out of gear has to stop and you have to should switch back to gear 1 then move forward again and then switch to drive as you drive. I've had a check to the transmission shop at LanD Rover dealer. they said it was internal but when when the TCM is disconnected it will start and drive normally I try to use TCM and it doesn't change what it's doing I also have the output speed sensor it's her changed because it was throwing that code. The fluid and the filter has been changed and has been refilled. I've read some things about the XYZ switch could it be this or one of the solenoids that controls the transmission? It is a 2002 4.6 HSE P38
I believe what you describe is a typical sprag gear failure, the reason it works well with out tcm or tcm disconnected is because it goes into limp mode and limp mode is 1st gear not drive.
in theory it can be driven as is with out further damage with the exception of what you have noticed where if you come to a full stop, you need to manually move the shifter to 1st gear.
its internal mechanical not electronic failure. it will require a full teardown of the gear box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts