RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing my experience on the transmission issue I have (intermittent) which is evident during rolling/crawling stop below 5 mph. I bought my 2007 RRS a month ago and during the initial test drive, I did not experience the kickdown issue during rolling stop. When I was done with my test drive, seller told me to hop in and see another feature which was the sport mode. She did some aggressive upshifting and downshifting on a short back road about quarter mile to show how it responds. Since I liked it and I thought ok it shifts fine so I decided to buy it (Oct 22). On my way home I didn't notice the kickdown issue as most of my miles were done on the freeway that was around 75 mile drive going home. It was off the freeway towards where I live when I first noticed the kickdown on a rolling stop and more violent if I'm downhill towards a stop.

I never looked at it as I was kinda busy with work and the RRS got broken into 2 weeks ago so my priority was to replace the rear glass (tailgate) and driver rear window which took a week to order so I didn't use it for a week until the glass was installed a few days ago. I did a lot of reading if someone experience the same kickdown issue I had and learned the following;

1. Reflash the ECU
2. Flush the fluids
3. Update software
4. Drive in sports mode for at least two (2) trips

So I did the easiest which was drive it in sports mode for at least two (2) trips. Apparently, there is what they say an adaptive learning on the transmission and I can only assume it adapts to the latest shifting pattern of the sports mode when you put it in automatic. But the one I read was on a RR HSE not the Sport. So I said, nothing to lose so I drove it for a good 10 miles and shifted (upshift/downshift) as I wanted it to respond and went home. After 30 minutes, I did it again for another 5 miles on the freeway and another 3 miles in the city in sports mode no aggressive upshifting/downshifting. Thereafter, I tried it in automatic and went to my usual route where I experience the kickdown particularly the downhill road and I when was approaching the 4 way stop downhill I was waiting for that dreaded kickdown and GONE.`) So I thought I just got lucky, drove it again for 5 miles on the freeway and it responds even better now upshifting and on my way home went back to the same downhill road same speed towards the 4 way stop and its gone. So I went home and did some stuff and 2 hours after, drove it again still no kickdown. Fingers crossed hope i can say its RESOLVED.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Interestingly enough, I had the same problem on my 08 LR3. Dealer reflashed the ECU (a software upgrade), told me to drive it in Sport mode for a week. Hard shifting gone. I always assumed it was the software refresh. Sounds like it just needed to relearn driving pattern.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read this thread the other day. I was noticing a little bit of hard shift into first on my 09 HSE. I put it in sport mode and drove it for a little while and it seems to alleviated it in when in regular mode. Hopefully i never feel that again bc the thought of swapping a trans in this thing is not good.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here. I thought something was wrong with the tranny as i was really experiencing a violent downshift/kickdown everytime I approach a rolling stop evidently on downhill. My passengers were telling me if I was messing it up so they are thrown off their seats. Took me a month to figure it out but at least its gone, I hope for good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts