RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my RR from my daughter, and when I took possession the CEL declared 'Clutch Too Hot". I have drove the car for 10,000 miles, and early on I had a few hic-ups, but for the most part no problems.
Regardless, I decided to do a transmission flush and filter as the vehicle has 120K miles on her, and the last transmission service was at 70K.
First off, the fluid was not horrible and the magnets only had sludge, no chunks.
I purchased the improved filter kit "
ATFCKOMEWFL" from Atlantic British. IMPORTANT!!! The new filter is not necessary as the supports are not in the way on the 2006 HSE (see note below).
I drained the fluid as described, and replaced the new filter, gasket, and pan. I also replaced the sleeve, which looks like it was already replaced, but at least I know now it the newer sleeve.
I replaced the fluid with the ZF Lifeguard, as recommended. Interestingly, I could only add about 5.5 quarts before I hit the overflow (yes, while the engine was running). I drove the vehicle 10 miles and rechecked the level, and again, it was still full.
Lessons learned:
  • Easy job, and all the tutorials make this sound much harder than it is.
  • The 2006 HSE does not have all the blocking supports or shields, so you do not need the filter conversion kit (save $80.00).
  • I did this on the ground and it was not very difficult. Yes, a hoist/ lift would have made it easier, but still easy enough on the ground.
  • The suggested fluid quantity needed is slightly less than described (by one quart).
  • In one month I am going to drain a quart and replace the quart with my remaining fluid.
  • The catalectic converters are hot :).
Cheers to all.
Troy

·
Registered
369 Posts
The reason it appears you needed less fluid is because you did not drain the fluid to "empty" you only drained the sump. There is more fluid in the cooling pipes that if drained would amount to the required specified amount. Yes for once the job is eaier than actually described.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts