RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 91 RRC County and the trans had been acting up the past 6 months. It finally went out and stranded me for the millionth time... I finally got around to swapping the trans out with a used trans that has 90k on it. It was the best/most affordable i could find that could be shipped. So i had the trans shop install it and of course it is not shifting properly and the shop wants X more thousand dollars to look into it. Before i do that or tow it to Land Rover Cincinnati i was wondering if it could be something like the ECU needing to be reset or the shift linkage altered. The rover goes into gear now but it will not shift into 2nd until it is WAY up around 4,000 RPM, so i haven't driven it since trying the first time. I guess my question is are there any checks i can do before i open up the wallet again big time? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have a friend that is a mechanic and available to help. Where should i start and any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry in advance!

·
Registered
976 Posts
It could be the valve body...
Make sure it is full of fluid
Then put it in each gear forward and reverse ... all the gears over and over...
To get the fluid into everything...
Did they change the filter .. or just install as is..if you have the rave... read about the transmission.. it had lots of detail...
I changed the trans on my 92 when I got it... wasn’t that bad or hard of a job...also have a parts 91 ...

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
98 Posts
I went through something similar recently with a transmission swap on my 92 RRC. Mine had the same symptoms except it needed to rev very high going from second to third.

The culprit was the kickdown cable. If you are lucky, you can mess with the adjustment at the throttle body. I tried for a week, but couldn’t get it to work - same issue. It turned out that the kickdown cable became dislodged / off the cam inside the transmission. I had a shop open the transmission and fix the cable. I think they charged me a couple hundred. My transmission works flawlessly now.

Hopefully, you can manually shift from first to second without issue. If you cannot, you may have other issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes kick down cable function or adjustment would be my first suspect, followed by oil level (I am assuming a 91 has nothing electronic). The kickdown cable gives the load signal to the gearbox which make is either shift up early (low load) or late (high load). Wrong adjustment can give you a very erratic shifting behaviour, so will low oil level.

Maybe the company that fitted the gearbox forgot to adjust it (or fill it) right. It can be surprising sometimes how experts can come up with expensive repair estimates without checking the basics first.

I brought a Jeep to the dealer once with an ABS issue, they quoted $3500 to change a whole lot of parts. They did a computer readout (charged me $170 for that) which had a long list of error, but somewhere it said 'aft right abs sensor error'. So bought a new sensor ($11) changed it out, reset errors with cheap reader and drove the car for 2 years without a single ABS error.

Moral of the story: never blindly trust a garage, but you already know that as you are here with us on this forum!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went through something similar recently with a transmission swap on my 92 RRC. Mine had the same symptoms except it needed to rev very high going from second to third.

The culprit was the kickdown cable. If you are lucky, you can mess with the adjustment at the throttle body. I tried for a week, but couldn’t get it to work - same issue. It turned out that the kickdown cable became dislodged / off the cam inside the transmission. I had a shop open the transmission and fix the cable. I think they charged me a couple hundred. My transmission works flawlessly now.

Hopefully, you can manually shift from first to second without issue. If you cannot, you may have other issues.
Yes kick down cable function or adjustment would be my first suspect, followed by oil level (I am assuming a 91 has nothing electronic). The kickdown cable gives the load signal to the gearbox which make is either shift up early (low load) or late (high load). Wrong adjustment can give you a very erratic shifting behaviour, so will low oil level.

Maybe the company that fitted the gearbox forgot to adjust it (or fill it) right. It can be surprising sometimes how experts can come up with expensive repair estimates without checking the basics first.

I brought a Jeep to the dealer once with an ABS issue, they quoted $3500 to change a whole lot of parts. They did a computer readout (charged me $170 for that) which had a long list of error, but somewhere it said 'aft right abs sensor error'. So bought a new sensor ($11) changed it out, reset errors with cheap reader and drove the car for 2 years without a single ABS error.

Moral of the story: never blindly trust a garage, but you already know that as you are here with us on this forum!
Yes the kick down cable...
I had forgot about that...
On my transmission swap on the old and the replacement.. that cable was toast.. replaced it before I installed
The replacement...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be the valve body...
Make sure it is full of fluid
Then put it in each gear forward and reverse ... all the gears over and over...
To get the fluid into everything...
Did they change the filter .. or just install as is..if you have the rave... read about the transmission.. it had lots of detail...
I changed the trans on my 92 when I got it... wasn’t that bad or hard of a job...also have a parts 91 ...
Thanks, I will check the valve body oil level and adjust if low then shift through all the gears to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

When i check the kickdown cable at the throttle body, I will want to look to loosen it, since the shifts are behind schedule after revving high is that correct? That would be epic if it was simply the cable needing adjusting whether its at the throttle body or inside the trans. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The job took forever and i know they had it on the back burner, i had to call several times through a couple weeks to inquire about where they were in the process.. my hunch is they rushed the job knowing it was a used trans i think they just installed it as is and didn't want to look into it further once it was installed and not shifting properly. I am pretty disappointed in them to say the least. I really appreciate all your guys' timely responses. I will update after looking into the valve body oil level and the kickdown cable.

·
Registered
976 Posts

this is the kickdown valve .. you can see the hole where the cable accesses
The transmission...

the valve body

pulling the pan to access the filter or the kickdown cable is not hard .. but a
Pain in the azz..you would need to pull the cross member and the exhaust...
Then it’s a piece of cake .., the rave has really good instructions...
That is if you need too
Hopefully it is just in need of adjustment... so cross yer fingers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i have all my fingers and toes crossed! Thanks for the images, those make it pretty clear. I have a feeling the cable is too tight after having read your guys' responses and a few other threads on the kickdown cable. Updates to come this evening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts