RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission Selector Switch Symptoms and Repair (P38) 1999-2002 UpDate

I havenot been here long enough to know all the ends and outs of how to build, makebetter, and provide updates to this site.

I do believe in the fact that if I use this site then I should also contributeto it to make it better, answer questions on subjects that I know about…

I don’tpost a whole lot on this site or any other as far as that goes. But I use thissite a ton to figure out my problems based what others have already seen. So asI run through all the normal P38 stuff I would like to give back.
Transmission SelectorSwitch Symptoms and Repair (P38)
For Bosch model Range Rovers
The Shaft Size is a 13 MM wrench and the 2 bolts that holdthe switch to the transmission are 10 MM. The article states “ I left the breathertube in place, to re-attach, but the new one came with a new tube, alreadyattached-must be a common problem.” There is no tube that goes down tothe Position Switch on Bosch models. So no worries there.
To take off: Leave it in park and you do not need to removethe cotter pin (you can if you want) . Just remove the 14 MM nut from the shaft.That will save you from having to drill out the cotter pin when it breaks offon both sides because it is rusted in place.
To install Put the switch in place snug up the 10 MM boltsmove switch till you hear it click and the back to click again. That should bepark tighten down all the way and reassemble.

thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Re: Transmission Selector Switch Symptoms and Repair (P38) 1999-2002 UpDate

Hi

The breather tube on the xyz switch is very important. If you leave the tube off, or if it comes off for whatever reason, the water from the AC drain just above the switch will fill it up with water causing it to fail. As long as you prevent the water from entering there will be no issues with the switch.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Jos,
I do appreciatethe concern. Mythought was maybe it was/is a GEMS thing. All I know is I spent some time lookingfor this breather tube on both of my rovers. Pulling up Vacuum hose routing andI did not see a breather hose loose, attached or anywhere near this switch.

There was not a breather tube or a fitting for a breather tube on the one that I removed or installed. I did use Land Rover Part Number STC 4452. Which is correct for my year. I also did a compare to my other 2002 Range Rover p38. So my thoughts are either both of mine are wrong or there is no breather tube on the Bosch Rovers.
Chuck

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
86 Posts

Thanks for the info Chuck. Will have to check it out on my own Rover.
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts