RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 RR 4.0. A couple of weeks ago after exiting the freeway I applied the brakes and a horrible grinding noise started, and the truck did not want to stop. The grinding noise sounded like metal on metal from the brakes, but they had just been changed. The scary part was I drove to the next stop applied the brakes, and got the same noise with the same situation that the truck wanted to keep lunging forward like the transmission didn't disengage. It will stop once you puch really hard on the brakes.

Thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid level? I would drain a little out and see if you see any metal pieces in there. Good luck.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
WHat makes you think the brakes have anything to do with the transmission? Does it shift fine? Is it quiet on acceleration? I would suspect the brakes if it is only doing it on braking, ESPECIALLY if the brakes have just been messed with.

G

·
0 Posts
My dad once put one of my pads on backward when he changed my brakes, it made the worst metal grinding noise I've ever heard. Hopefully its as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
greggo151 said:
I have a 2000 RR 4.0. A couple of weeks ago after exiting the freeway I applied the brakes and a horrible grinding noise started, and the truck did not want to stop. The grinding noise sounded like metal on metal from the brakes, but they had just been changed. The scary part was I drove to the next stop applied the brakes, and got the same noise with the same situation that the truck wanted to keep lunging forward like the transmission didn't disengage. It will stop once you puch really hard on the brakes.

Thoughts?

I dunno... if my brakes were grinding when I applied them...and the truck wasn't stopping...I'd probably be checking out the brakes before the tranny. :doh:

·
Registered
217 Posts
the truck wanted to keep lunging forward like the transmission didn't disengage. It will stop once you puch really hard on the brakes.

Thoughts?[/quote]
Maybe he's got a sticky throttle cable or assembly or a bad throttle cable? :think:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Try putting it in neutral when you're about to come to a stop to see if it still does the lunging.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Since our transmissions don't "disengage" I have no clue. It could be a stuck cable, but I would think he would mention a high idle. Since it began as he exited the freeway it must have been fine in traffic getting to and onto the freeway or he wouldn't have gotten on the freeway to begin with. Of course he is from California so all bets are off reguarding a manual transmission not disengaging. :think:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a chance to pull one side of the wheels off, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am going to try putting it in "N" before I stop, to see if the noise is there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, i should change this to brake problem> I drove it, put it in nuetral and got the brake grind. Then the brakes don't release. You can put it in D and it will not move. If you give it gas it will move slowly and then finally loosen up. My seals on the caliper pistons are pretty thrashed. What else could cause the brakes to make a grind then not release?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Well the possibilities are not quite endless, but with the added info I would just pull your brakes apart and rebuild the calipers as a start. One thought that comes to mind is that after reinstalling the calipers with the brake job that something may have over extended. i.e. if the guide pins are not allowing for a free floating caliper you may have popped a piston sideways or a shoe has slipped. Until you have things torn apart for inspection any suggestions here would be pure speculation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts