RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this when towing (or otherwise)?

We have a ‘19 HSE Dynamic (V6, 380hp) and are on an extended camping trip towing our 26’ 5,000 pound loaded trailer through the mountains. On the second day I was driving it just like I did with our old tow vehicle, a ‘15 Grand Cherokee with a weak V6 (280hp, 235ish tq) w a tow rating of 6,200. The way I was driving was to set the cruise at 70, the transmission was in Sport mode, and I was using the paddle shifters to shift myself vs relying on the car to decide when to downshift. Left entirely to the computer on steep hills it would slow a LOT and lug the engine along at 2k rpms. I was always taught to make the engine work with higher rpms vs make the transmission work so I would keep it above 3.5k rpms and occasionally 4K for hills.

While in some big hills it threw a “Transmission Overheating” error up on the display and power was greatly reduced. I pulled over and let it cool for 5 minutes and could smell something, if there’s a vent on the top of the transmission I’m guessing some fluid boiled out? I then drove slowly to the next exit 2 miles away, exited, and had lunch while I let the vehicle Idle to circulate fluids.

Since then, nearly 2k miles later, I haven’t had any issues. But I did stop driving in Sport and paddle shifting. Now if speed drops too much I have to cancel cruise and hit the gas myself. Weirdly if I just hit the gas during these big uphill times and the actual speed is too low below the set speed hitting the gas without cruise off will not downshift the transmission. It’s like the transmission is confused and locks out the gas pedal.

I purchased an OBD2 scanner to watch actual temps (it’s infuriating that there isn’t an option to display actual temp readings like my old GC did). Unfortunately there’s no sensor reading for transmission temp in every scan app I’ve looked at, but there is a reading for Engine Coolant Sensor 2 that I suspect may be actually the transmission. Oil and Engine Temp sensor 1 are pretty constant in the mid 190* range but Coolant Sensor 2 varies a lot from 90* when coasting down a steep long hill to as high as 190* when pulling up a steep hill and keeping the revs and speed up.

Right now I don’t know where the limit is for transmission temp but suspect it’s 200* (if I'm looking at the right sensor). Does anyone know for sure?

One interesting thing from the scan tool, the supercharger hits 22.5 psi under full load. I still remember an old mustang I had where 8 psi was factory and I upped it to 18 and that was a lot. 22.5 from the factory is pretty incredible.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,458 Posts
I’ve towed my 5500 lb race rig thousands of miles with my tuned and pulliied 2014 HSE thousands of miles. I just leave the shifter in drive and the cruise on 67mph. Up and down hills the tranny will downshift and maintain speed. You’re lugging situation doesn’t sound right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts