RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...Murphy's law strikes again. Just got my 2003 full size Rover back from the head gasket and valve job (nearly $3,500) and was driving great. Out of nowhere the transmission started shifting at a higher RPM than it should have. Within a few minutes I got a transmssion overheat message on the LED display. I pulled over immediately and shut it off...took a cab to my destination and came back 3 hours later. I started her up and drove home no issues transmission shifting normally again. This morning I went out to the driveway and fired her up, within a minute I heard liquid dripping sounds so I shut it off immediately and got out and saw a reddish fluid on our light color concrete driveway which I perceive to be automatic transmission fluid. It was gushing out onto the driveway from the drivers side bottom of the radiator "vicinity." I'm more than certain that the transmission overheat message and this expelling of transmission fluid are related. Could it be coming from my transmission oil cooler or one of the associated hoses? I read that they can get clogged. Where do I go from here? I figure if the transmission is still shifting perfectly fine that I won't need to rebuild/replace the trans...please help I absolutely LOVE this truck but it is acting up so much these days.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
There is no way we can tell you where it is leaking. You will have to crawl under and tale a look. Until you identify what is leaking there is no way we can advice a parts source or next step.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
123 Posts
Since it's up front there is a good chance it is a blown hose. You need to get under it and poke around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think these issues are related? Seems odd a hose blows the morning after the trans overheat warning message. Is it possible a simple hose replacement could solve all my problems? Or is a trans cooler inevitable?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
It's going to do no good to flush the tranny cooler if it is the part leaking. In fact there really is no sense going any further until you get under it and identify your leak. Is it a burst line? Is it your cooler? Is it a blown oring at a fitting? Has something rubbed through and been compromised?

Identify, repair, refill. Only then can you get back on track with the overheat issue. With the dozens of tranny overheat threads for first gen L322s you should have more than enough info at your finger tips to eliminate possibilities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My ace mobile mechanic is coming over shortly I will post all details. We will flush the entire 10 quarts out of trans fluid and replace filter, trans cooler and line. So this problem is going to be vaporized point blank. This truck has played enough games with me it's time for me to take the reigns again and be in charge. I will use Esso fluid or the equivalent. Anything specific I should have him check up on while he's down there?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
hi. just wondering if you got my post to you. Sorry if it did not make it. As above you will have to check and find the leak. If you change all those parts then you will be closer to the truth but a few things to also check. The trans cooler is mounted to a manifold which is mounted to the rad. Made of plastic, about $40. Ours was ok and basically couples the water side of the cooler to the rad and holds the cooler also. Pull the clip to separate. On the oil side the hose securing devices (for lack of a better word) can corrode and get full of grime and may fail when separated-ours did not but I lost a few bits of plastic which is why it is always suggested to change the hoses but that is $300. Try to flush the fittings with brake cleaner and say wd 40 and then work them to loosen them so they are not forced on disassembly. They seem to work like sharkbite plumbing fittings. It is possible the cooler failed and caused the leak but not likely. there is also a trans thermostat to consider. so once oil leak sorted you could use a laser thermometer to check water temps in and out of cooler. other possible issue may arise if ebox fan fails and cooks tranny controller (ours withstood heat that could fry an egg on the alum case btw).a live reboot of the tranny controller may be an avenue if all else fails on resetting the overheat message-as long as the tranny is not done from the possible low fluid. (temperature sensitive on the fluid level). best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts