RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am new but i have a big problem with my RR vogue 2004 model it has lost all the transmission oil due to joint leakage and i am in Ngorongoro now i want to add oil they told me oil No 75W90 will work but i am not sure please help also how should i put it

Depressed Robert
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
Sorry to depress you further but 75w90 is really a manual gearbox fluid. Are you talking about your automatic transmission? If so, if it's a petrol model you need Esso LT71141 and for the diesel it's Texaco ETL-7045E. These fluids, though, are difficult enough to get hold of in Europe and the States so goodness knows how easy it will be to source them in Tanzania!

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil Thank you for your input it has really helped, the equivalent of Esso LT71141 they say it is any DX II atf will work so i am looking for any British Petroleum DX II and above they say it should work should i go ahead and buy please advice also how to put it

Regards

Robert
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
muggy said:
Phil Thank you for your input it has really helped, the equivalent of Esso LT71141 they say it is any DX II atf will work so i am looking for any British Petroleum DX II and above they say it should work should i go ahead and buy please advice also how to put it

Regards

Robert
If you use ANYTHING other than Esso LT71141 then you risk destroying your gearbox. Dextron II is not a safe equivalent.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,793 Posts
By DX II are you refering to Dexron II? Dexron II and the correct fluid are not even close to being the same. The LT71141 is a full synthetic and can not be swapped for dino fluid or partial syn fluids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Muggy,

The tranmission is made by the German company ZF and they market the same transmission oil as Esso under their own brand. Also it has a BMW part number on it so if you can find a BMW garage they should be able to get it for you. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hi Guys,
I live in TURKEY (Turkiye/Istanbul)
Im also new in forum and drive a 2004 RR Vogue 3.0TD6.It is at 78.000 Km.
I had taransmission fluid changed(refill).I went to a service dealing with only automatic transmissions.
They refilled tranny with Esso LT 71.... instead of TEXACO ETC 7045E and told me it is OK.
I also bought ATF treatment fluid Motor Silk Baron and mixed it with Esso LT.
What is the difference between Esso and Texaco? Should I Refill the ATF with Texaco again?
As i know ATF mainly works as a Pressure carrier and oils metal parts of transmission?
What damage is possible if we dont use the one that LR tolds?
Any suggestion for me?
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
291 Posts
atlvlk said:
Hi Guys,
I live in TURKEY (Turkiye/Istanbul)
Im also new in forum and drive a 2004 RR Vogue 3.0TD6.It is at 78.000 Km.
I had taransmission fluid changed(refill).I went to a service dealing with only automatic transmissions.
They refilled tranny with Esso LT 71.... instead of TEXACO ETC 7045E and told me it is OK.
I also bought ATF treatment fluid Motor Silk Baron and mixed it with Esso LT.
What is the difference between Esso and Texaco? Should I Refill the ATF with Texaco again?
As i know ATF mainly works as a Pressure carrier and oils metal parts of transmission?
What damage is possible if we dont use the one that LR tolds?
Any suggestion for me?
Thanks.
Hi
Texaco is the original fluid in the transmission.And recomended.
ESSO specs the same?
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
You can compare the fluid specs. and find that two fluids might be very similar in terms of viscosity performance, shear stability, scuffing protection, etc., etc. but what the manufacturer’s spec. won’t tell you is what friction modifiers are used in the fluid’s additive package. This is critical to the performance of the shift clutches & TC lock-up clutch and can be unique to a particular fluid. If you use any ATF other than the recommended one you run the risk of trashing the transmission through overheating the clutch elements and oxidising the fluid. In my view the extra cost of using the correct fluid far outweighs the risk and associated cost of transmission failure – although I appreciate that availability of the fluid is often the issue rather than cost.

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
RRPhil said:
You can compare the fluid specs. and find that two fluids might be very similar in terms of viscosity performance, shear stability, scuffing protection, etc., etc. but what the manufacturer’s spec. won’t tell you is what friction modifiers are used in the fluid’s additive package. This is critical to the performance of the shift clutches & TC lock-up clutch and can be unique to a particular fluid. If you use any ATF other than the recommended one you run the risk of trashing the transmission through overheating the clutch elements and oxidising the fluid. In my view the extra cost of using the correct fluid far outweighs the risk and associated cost of transmission failure – although I appreciate that availability of the fluid is often the issue rather than cost.

Phil
Its not the cost about the ATF preference for me.I prefer he original one even if it costs more.But i didn't know TD6 use Texaco when i visit the service
and they told me they always use Esso LT 71...something on Friday ,yesterday.(I suppose its 4.4 ZF transmission's ATF)
I have bougt an additive as i told before, named Motor Silk Baron ATF Thereatment fluid.They added this to Esso.
I wonder shoul i replace the fluid with Texaco immedietely?
So far there is no Overheating message or any abnormal thing with my GM tranny.And i saw the draine d fluid it was yellowish too like Esso.Not red like Texaco.
What are your suggestions again.
Can i drive with these for a couple of thousands KM or shuld i refill with Texaco as soon as possible?
Thans for your suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear All,

Thank you for your input on my request it was very usefull but i have to load the car and take it to the garage, but that is were my big problem started this guy said i need to add the oil and change the transmmission cooler and its pipes from the gearbox at the price of 2,000 USD! i was shocked should i go ahead, also he told he could sell me an instrument cluster for 2,000 usd is that the right price or i am being riped off

Regards

Robert :twisted:
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
Robert,

Is your 2004 RR a petrol or a diesel model?

The transmission, fluid & oil cooler are all different on each.

Phil
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
In terms of parts, the oil cooler (3) p/n PFD000020, feed pipe (2) p/n UBP000161 and return pipe (1) p/n UBP000180 cost, in total, around £260 here in the UK (approx. 400 US Dollars). The cooler is relatively simple to fit, though I understand (but not through personal experience) that the two pipes are more difficult - ALLDATA quotes 4.1 hours. Even so, US$2000 sounds unbelievably excessive. The LT71141 fluid costs around £16/litre (US$25) when bought by the litre and, at most, you’d need somewhere between 4 & 6 litres.

Phil
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 HSE
Joined
·
388 Posts
I've no experience with this, but in looking in the forum, I found the topic "L322 Transmission Fluid Change".

An alternative ATF for Petrol engines is, apparently, Valvoline MAXLIFE ATF 324. Another is VALVOLINE MERCON V. Apparently Amsoil and Pennzoil make substitutes as well to the ESSO LT71141.

Volkswagen recommends LT71141 for some of its vehicles (?) -- is there a VW dealer (or other make) near you where either the Esso or cheaper, appropriate substitute might be sourced?
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
All of these fluids are genuine Esso LT71141, but their prices differ enormously. For example, Land Rover charge £16 for a 1 litre bottle and Jaguar charge £29 for exactly the same thing - they don't even re-badge it - it's in the same Esso bottle :

ZF Lifeguardfluid5 (ZF No. S671 090 170)
Audi / VW Oil No. G 052162 A1 / A2 / A6
BMW Oil No. 8322 9407807
Citroen Oil No. Z 000169756
Jaguar Oil No. JLM 20238
Mercedes Benz Oil No. A 0019892203
Peugeot Oil No. Z 000169756
Porsche Oil No. 999.917.547.00

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Phil,

Your picture illustration has been very helpful were can i get a maintenance manual for the RR 2004?

Regards

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear All, this is Muggy again, the dealer said he changed the oil cooler of my transmission but it still shows transmmision overheat what should i do, please help
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top