RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folk

I have just ordered a service kit for my auto gearbox I want to remove the old filter drain the oil and then replace them.

Firstly this might seem like a stupid question but is automatic transmission fluid the same as automatic transmission oil I read in the manual that the gearbox takes up to 11 litres to refill.

Secondly do you refill the gearbox via the transmission fluid filler pipe in the engine bay after replacing and securing the cover below?

Thanks

Jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Yepp. :D
Fill as much as you drain off, and then check the oil level having gone through the
gears and the engine running in P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Im glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about it and was going to post.

Some cars are KNOWN for have immediate Tranny failure after a fluid change(or new filter). For example, BMW's- you are pretty much guaranteed that if your car has near 200K km's or 130miles or so that you will have a tranny failure. My friend just had to drain his fluid in his tranny, put new, and same, his FORD last all forward gears.

Has anyone experienced this problem in their Rovers? In our Auto Volvo's and in my past RRC (with 225K miles on original tranny), I;ve always flushed the tranny fluid once a year.

My P38 has 105Kmi and I am afraid to do a flush as I don't want to have to replace a tranny( I also dont know if it has ever been done on it). Any input? Anyone done a few changes or at least one on their p38 with 90Kmi or more and have feedback?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,818 Posts
luvs2getmuddy said:
Im glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about it and was going to post.

Some cars are KNOWN for have immediate Tranny failure after a fluid change(or new filter). For example, BMW's- you are pretty much guaranteed that if your car has near 200K km's or 130miles or so that you will have a tranny failure. My friend just had to drain his fluid in his tranny, put new, and same, his FORD last all forward gears.

Has anyone experienced this problem in their Rovers? In our Auto Volvo's and in my past RRC (with 225K miles on original tranny), I;ve always flushed the tranny fluid once a year.

My P38 has 105Kmi and I am afraid to do a flush as I don't want to have to replace a tranny( I also dont know if it has ever been done on it). Any input? Anyone done a few changes or at least one on their p38 with 90Kmi or more and have feedback?
That's the msot rediculous thing I have ever heard. A transmission flush or fluid change would never cause a failure as long as it is done correctly. I flushed my P38 at 130K and changed the filter. I did it again at 150K when I did a service on all fluids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
JeremyD said:
How does one flush the tranny?

I bucket of water and some washing up liquid? :D (Joking)

close, sometimes buckets are involved but filled with new tranny fluid not soapy water
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
The 4HP22 and 4HP24 used in the rover are safe to change fluids and actually have a service interval.

The BMW stories all come from the ZF 5HP30 that was designed without intended service interval. Sometime after 100K miles a fluid change is a disaster in the making. Part of the problem was that the transmission clearances were designed around a couple of semi exotic oils available only in Europe-($30 plus a liter in minimum 20 liter lots sort of exotic in the US). Putting in a not quite compatible fluid is sort of like a Death Row injection. Even the exact fluid has a high mortality rate when over 130k miles.

We should consider ourselves fortunate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I've heard the old myth that you shouldn't change your tranny fluid on an older vehicle with higher miles. Some say that the old fluid is all that keeps the guts working and the high detergent content of new fluid will scub out the gunk that keeps the clutches working. I've even heard this from tranny mechnics. Usually only an issue if your tranny maintenance has not been kept up and you let the fluid really deteriorate.

I'm a believer that new fluid is better. I just changed the fluid and filter in my 1995 Jeep ZJ with 145k miles on the clock. It sees pretty rough off road duty and I tow with it on a weekly basis. I have no idea what the service history was prior to 115k miles.

Runs great after the fluid change with no problems. I'd rather change the fluid and know I have good fluid and a good tranny, than not change the fluid and not know if my tranny is about to crap out. Just my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Allegedly the L322 RR transmissions are sealed for life. life=warranty :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
q-rover said:
Allegedly the L322 RR transmissions are sealed for life. life=warranty :roll:
What is really funny about the 5HP series of transmissions is that according to the ZF literature they are supposed to be serviced at 100K miles.

BMW took them at their original word of "sealed for life" but ZF later took it back :(

The L322 uses the 5HP24 transmission. The 5HP24 is also used in the 7 series BMW and there is a considerable amount of problems with them there in the 2nd to 1st downshift coming to a stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
luvs2getmuddy said:
Im glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about it and was going to post.

Some cars are KNOWN for have immediate Tranny failure after a fluid change(or new filter). For example, BMW's- you are pretty much guaranteed that if your car has near 200K km's or 130miles or so that you will have a tranny failure. My friend just had to drain his fluid in his tranny, put new, and same, his FORD last all forward gears.

Has anyone experienced this problem in their Rovers? In our Auto Volvo's and in my past RRC (with 225K miles on original tranny), I;ve always flushed the tranny fluid once a year.

My P38 has 105Kmi and I am afraid to do a flush as I don't want to have to replace a tranny( I also dont know if it has ever been done on it). Any input? Anyone done a few changes or at least one on their p38 with 90Kmi or more and have feedback?
That's the msot rediculous thing I have ever heard. A transmission flush or fluid change would never cause a failure as long as it is done correctly. I flushed my P38 at 130K and changed the filter. I did it again at 150K when I did a service on all fluids.
It may sound rediculous to you, but clearly judging from what I've heard, other's responses above and what they've heard /experienced its not not far fetched or rediculous at all.

I am 100% believe in frequent oil/fluid changes, but wanted to hear about the experiences/thoughts of how Rover's react with higher mileage fluid changes int he tranny. Seems that they don't mind it at all, which means that I will be doing a filter kit on mine asap.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
I've also read about people losing their trannys after a fluid/filter change. Something about the old fluid containing little bits of metal, aiding in the friction of the clutches. Once the fluid is changed for nice, clean stuff, the clutches don't have enough friction to get things rolling...and a rebuild is in order.

That being said, I changed out my fluid at 100k, and not the filter. I'm at 175k now, and I'll swap out the fluid again at 200k...again without changing the filter. I'm bad ass like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
q-rover said:
Allegedly the L322 RR transmissions are sealed for life. life=warranty :roll:
There are people on the mk3 forum who've changed their gearbox fluid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
I've been through this "shouldn't change ATF on higher mileage boxes" and sealed for life BMW and Merc gearboxes. I am a believer in changing fluids regularly. I had a BMW 750 with 175k on it and a huge file of receipts that didn't show any transmission work. I changed out the fluid and filter - no problems, but improved gear shift and quicker to engage 1st and reverse. A lot of the BMW problems have been down to using after market filters that collapse restricting ATF flow.
I have changed ATF on both our RR's with no problems at all afterwards. I would make sure I use'd a genuine filter, good quality Dex 111 ATF and make sure you check level after filling on a perfectly flat surface and using correct procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The other day I was checking all my fluids on my car and managed to overfill the ATF. I removed the drain plug below and drained some off the colour of the fuid that came out was pretty clean. Is the colour any indication of how regularly the fluid had been changed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
[quote="q-rover":1abav17a]Allegedly the L322 RR transmissions are sealed for life. life=warranty :roll:
There are people on the mk3 forum who've changed their gearbox fluid...[/quote:1abav17a]

Hence the smiley... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to my local car part supplier today they only stock dex II is that ok to use? I am very isolated so i need to use products that i can easily get hold of
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top