Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission mechatronic sleeve replacement and fluid change 06 Sport

After doing some major maintenance work recently on my 06 RRS (front lower and upper control arm replacement, supercharger cooling pump, brakes/rotors, and some other misc items) I come to find out that my ride is leaking transmission fluid. I put it up on a lift to inspect it thinking the leak was coming from the oil pan......no leak from the pan. After further inspection, it appears that there is a leak from what appears to be a large electrical connection in the transmission. I did a bit for searching and found out that this "plug" is the "mechatronic sleeve." Looks like a simple repair and the part cost like $17, but according to the instructions I would have to drain the transmission. From my research, it is said that you have to replace the entire transmission filter pan assembly if replacing the tranny fluids. I was wondering what your opinion on this is. Should I just drain and refill or go ahead and replace the entire filter pan assembly?

For reference, here is the instructions for replacing the mechatronic sleeve
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_speed_sleeve_replacement.pdf

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Transmission mechatronic sleeve replacement and fluid change 06 Sport

Never mind....have to replace the pan.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
495 Posts

After doing some major maintenance work recently on my 06 RRS (front lower and upper control arm replacement, supercharger cooling pump, brakes/rotors, and some other misc items) I come to find out that my ride is leaking transmission fluid. I put it up on a lift to inspect it thinking the leak was coming from the oil pan......no leak from the pan. After further inspection, it appears that there is a leak from what appears to be a large electrical connection in the transmission. I did a bit for searching and found out that this "plug" is the "mechatronic sleeve." Looks like a simple repair and the part cost like $17, but according to the instructions I would have to drain the transmission. From my research, it is said that you have to replace the entire transmission filter pan assembly if replacing the tranny fluids. I was wondering what your opinion on this is. Should I just drain and refill or go ahead and replace the entire filter pan assembly?

For reference, here is the instructions for replacing the mechatronic sleeve
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_speed_sleeve_replacement.pdf
I took my '06 RRS HSE to Aamco to do transmission fluid/filter change, t/c, diffs - asked them to replace sleeve since PPI had told me it was leaking. First of all they though it was part of the trans pan/filter kit - so they had to run out and get it separately. Now they are telling me hard to remove Sleeve without lifting engine or removing exhaust. I do not have ACE. What is the correct proceudre to get access to remove the Sleeve ? I thought I read somewhere that you just had to loosen a cross member ? But I can;t find that post again now. I will post the results of this procedure tomorrow !

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts

Thanks - Yeah Aamco said they have to raise engine - and might have to remove exhaust to replace Sleeve - they called LandRover dealer and this is how they said they did it. I just wanted to check to see if there wasn't an easier way to do that.

Pick up car this lunchtime - Here is what they billed

Transmission Service - Filter/Pan $120, Gasket, 5Qt ZF fluid $80, Labor $48, Sleeve (upgraded version made by Ford in Czech Republic - he said it was not obvious what the upgrade was - but maybe better o-rings.)$42. - Total $290
(I don;t think I could have done Sleeve as DIY - for $50 labor - that was a bargain) (I could have probably used Castrol Transmax to save on Fluid price - but $16/qt for ZF is not bad - and cheaper than I could have got it at the dealer or on-line)

Front Diff - $90 (with Landrover Fluid)
Rear Diff - $90 (with Landrover Fluid)

Old fluids looked good at 71K miles - but there were a lot of metal shavings on mag drain plug on rear diff - no noise however. Probably good to change the diff fluids more often (I think this was first time for the car based on po maintenance records)

T/C service $90 with landrover fluid.

So total for entire service ~ $600 (inc. CA tax). Much better than going to dealer based on some of the quote I have seen on this board. Since Aamco guys are messing with transmissions all day - and most of this is an easy DIY (but helps to have lift) - I think this was a good route to go. I could probably do diffs myself for just the cost of the fluid - but I didn't have to crawl under the car and for this price I'd rather have a pro tackle it on such an expensive part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts