RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just changed my tranny filter and after putting it back together I noticed a slight leak at the dipsick tube. At least I believe it's the dipstick/fill tube. It's the tube that goes into directly into the pan with the large nut. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the likely spot, the flare fitting & Nut. It appears to have a small crack where the tube and pan meet. The leak is very slow.. but annoying none the less. Has anyone else experienced this? I've thought about welding this up, but does anyone have any other ideas on a quicker fix for this?

I don't really want to buy a new pan.. it would seem like a huge waste.

I'd like to hear what others think? If needed I can post a picture later.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I would really like to see a photo...

Scotty

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
There is a weld that holds a portion of that assebly to the actual pan. It's not at all uncommon for this weld to break during a filter change. If indeed this weld has let loose the only option is a pan replacement unless you can get it rewelded locally. I find it much safer to drop the frame cross member and then drop the pan and fill tube as one piece.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to get a picture up soon.

I believe either I can weld it, or I know someone that can weld it for me. It would seem like a shame to get a whole new pan because of this.
It's great to know this is actually common though. I wish I would have known about dropping the subframe so the fill tube could come down as one piece.
After dropping the pan, and replacing the filter, I realized the filter probably didn't even need changed. The pan was very clean, and from what I could see the filter was pretty clean as well. The fluid was getting dark, but looked better than I remembered. So I probably could have got away with just changing the fluid. But now, I get to do the job twice and then some! :doh: :doh: :doh:

Ah well, I am hoping that this can get taken care of painlessly.. (hides wallet)

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
yup, looks like your weld has cracked. atleast tranny fluid is cheap. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think it would be better to weld from the inside or outside? And this is just pressed steel right, So this could be MIG welded right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rrtoadhall said:
yup, looks like your weld has cracked. atleast tranny fluid is cheap. :lol:
Looks like I'll be keeping an eye on the fluid till I can get access to a welder..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Had a rangie in a few weeks back same problem, pan removed and re welded inside, problem solved.

dont over tighten when attaching tube, seems to be the reason

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's getting welded up today. Seems the person before me went overboard when tightening it, because I had to really wrench on it to get it off. Then putting it on I put it back pretty tight. Next time I'll take it a little more easy. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
865 Posts
You can always add a blob of silicone to nut just to be sure it doesnt come eloose, works a treat and I use it for extra insurance in what I do.

I do this on all drain/filler plugs cos I've heard of a few nastys in the industry where owners purposely loosen drains to claim for rebuilt engines on worn out junk.....scary fact, believe it or not

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would believe it!

I will probably put a bit on the threads, great idea. I'll get some more pics up today, as well as install the pan again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts