Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many transmission based posts but haven't seen anything exactly like my issue, so my apologies in advance if this has already been covered.
I have a 2005 RR with the standard ZF 5-speed trans.
I've owned it for about a year (101K miles) and it's been great, however a couple days ago I had driven the vehicle for 30 minutes or so and it was fine, came home for a bit then went back out and as I backed out of my driveway, the transmission hesitated and jerked into forward/1st when I shifted into D. Once up and going it shifted fine, but happened once more when I stopped at a light and got back up to speed.
I drove it again the next day, and it drove fine for a while; after it had heated up it would take a longer time to engage forward gear from neutral/reverse. If I didn't pay attention and wait when it was placed in D, it would jerk into 1st, as long as I waited a bit, it would engage 1st ok.
Again once up and going it shifts very smooth between gears, either in auto or "manual", the issue only seems to occur from neutral/reverse or from a stop.
I haven't had any error message, I can find no leaks and the fluid reservoir under the hood seems to have a good amount of fluid.
I have not taken it to the small shop I go to yet, just wanted to get some opinions beforehand.
Thanks so much!!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,411 Posts
....and the fluid reservoir under the hood seems to have a good amount of fluid.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. `8)

I’m not sure which ‘fluid reservoir’ you are referring to but it has nothing to do with your transmission. As a first step I would get the fluid level checked (which can only be done from underneath the vehicle by removing the filler/level plug on the side of the transmission while the engine is running) in case it is low for any reason.

If your fluid level is correct then one possible cause of your symptoms might be a crack in the upper valve block – which is easy enough to check as the transmission doesn’t need to be removed from the vehicle.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RRPHIL! I just got word back from my shop that the issue is the thermostat is faulty and sending bad readings causing the car to think it's overheating and use the transmission failsafe routine....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the transmission jerk from 2nd to 1st when I'm going slowly and then hit an incline...the jerk down to first as it wants a lower gear but could really stay in 2. In addition I've had some awkward shifts during city traffic.

When I got the vehicle ('05 RR L322 with the BMW engine) I was getting Trans Failsafe with a P code for the solenoid A. Changed that with a fluid and filter and no longer get Trans Failsafe. Was getting the hard downshifts so I took it to Land Rover to reset the adapted driving habit or whatever it's called. Seemed to fix the issue, now it seems to be back here and there.

I was thinking about a new valve body, but is this symptomatic of something else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update from the previous post: Today I hit a couple of inclines coming out of the parking garage and got the jerk into first both times, then it went into Trans Failsafe mode which surprised me a bit as it hasn't done this with my previous hard slams into first. Maybe it's because there were multiple in a row? Anyway, I shut off the car and waited a minute, fired back up with no Failsafe and didn't have any problems driving home.

I've also noticed shifting up that the vehicle doesn't stay in 2nd as long as it should...kind of skirts through 2nd into 3rd. Another issue that might be related is a slight lag (or slack?) between the pedal and the transmission. When I'm coasting then apply the gas it there is some lag.

I'm sending out the bat signal... @RRPhil are you there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I decided to go back and make sure I filled up the transmission properly with fluid (aka At temperature, level, and having shifted through the gears a bit). Turns out I was down a quart of fluid which amazed me. No issues now with the jerk down to first and it is shifting normally. I am a bit surprised by the lack of responsiveness on the pedal, like when I'm climbing a hill my BMW takes a lower gear at a much more appropriate timing. But I guess that's a different story for a different post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts