RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
1st post here (just picked up a 2005 RR, bmw engine). Sorry in advance for the long post but I thought more info would be helpful.

So, within one week of driving it, the tranny started to slip. By slip I mean - if I would slow down for a light, and then before coming to a stop the light would turn green, as I applied gas, the tranny would not do anything for a second or two followed by a loud clunk as the gear finally engaged. Everything else was fine and it shifted without slipping in other gears.
After just two days of this, it got much worse. I basically lost 1st gear. In drive when starting from a stop, it started out in second and there were alot of slips, winning, cluncks, you name it. I managed to get it home and next thing I tried was sport mode. It worked fine in sport mode starting in 1st and shifting manually to second with no problems. When I put back in automatic same issue as before. Plugged in my code reader and got one code (transmission component slipping). Causes were endless.....
I did alot of reading on this forum and other online sites and I felt like most likely problem could be the TCM. That said, dirty or low fluid came up multiple times so I decided to start there. I ordered the service kit from Atlantic British and followed the video exactly. It went well and now have new filter and almost 5 quarts fresh fluid. Note that old fluid was red and pretty clean looking to me.
Took it out for a drive yesterday and it was no better in Automatic still starting in second gear. Worse - I now lost the sport mode completely with no lights showing the gears in the dash.
Took it for a drive today, and sport mode worked so I put it in first, then I switched to auto and then big slip, loud noise, and back to second gear. After that, sport mode was gone again.

Any thoughts ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
The fluid in your ZF 5HP24 transmission should definitely not be red, so someone had already put the wrong fluid in it.

When you keep referring to sport mode, do you actually mean manual mode? The reason I ask is that, in manual mode (but not sport mode), the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear sprag is by-passed by the F-brake, to give engine braking in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear. If your sprag had failed, then 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear would slip in ‘auto’ mode and the ECU would sense this and select 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] instead. When you engaged 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear in manual mode the clutch would take up the drive instead of the broken sprag and 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear would work properly.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil for that response. Your assessment makes a ton of sense. I do mean manual mode, where you have complete control over when to shift to the next gear. It sure seems like you might have nailed the problem. So next question is - how difficult is it to replace that sprag ? Is it a tranny shop only type repair? Regarding the fluid, I was under the impression that I have a GM 5L40 E tranny in the 05 Rover. That said, I was surprised that the fluid was red as the new fluid from Atlantic British was yellowish. I could see signs that someone had done a service before me because the fill plug allen was somewhat torn up.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
We’d better be sure which transmission you have, before going any further. The GM 5L40-E unit was fitted to 3.0 litre TD6 diesel models from 2002 to 2006MY. The ZF 5HP24 transmission was fitted to 4.4 litre V8 petrol (gas) models from 2002 to 2005MY. You don’t say where you’re from so I may have wrongly assumed that you’re in the USA, where the diesel model was never sold. Both engines are from BMW. Perhaps you could fill in your location in your signature.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am from US, New York State, and its gas BMW engine so must have the ZF 5HP24.

So, I talked to the Rover shop/ dealer I bought it from and asked if they could take this 05 Rover back and find me a nice 08 that I could trade up to. Id only had this 05 for a couple weeks before the tranny went. Even though I bought as is, they were very open to this and said they will try to find me an 07 or 08. I managed to get the vehicle back to them driving in manual mode.

Besides the bad luck, I was feeling like this would be a good move for me. From what I've read, people seem to feel that this was a good time period for rovers (07,08,09). The BMW engine on the 05 was pretty noisy and not sure if it was normal or something wrong with it.

I'll let you know what I end up with, but I'm hoping there is a silver lining to this. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me Phil !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts