RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Bought a 2002 Vogue over the Christmas break with a "gearbox problem". Its our first Range Rover, we bought a cheap one to have a play with. We have installed a new battery.

On start-up the transmission is smooth going from D to R.If I move forward a few feet, then reverse and repeat, by the 5-6 cycle the transmission starts to struggle in D, eventually with the failsafe prog is flagged on the dashboard.

Using All Comms from RSW I have logged the following:

MKIII Communications Performed by RSWsolutions - All Comms Software.
L322 5HP24 Transmission Module Query Results: Performed on 02/01/2020 11:34:19
Transmission Module Fault Reading Complete...

Transfer Box Module Fault Reading Complete...

0x5212 0x5212 Battery undervoltage (0x5212).
0x5223 0x5223 Noise on actuator signal (0x5223).
0x52ED 0x52ED INSTR2 lost from CAN (0x52ED).

Instrument Panel Module Fault Reading Complete...

0x88 0x0088 I-Bus fault.
0xBD 0x00BD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU.
0xBE 0x00BE Lighting Module error.
0xEF 0x00EF No TXU1 received from Transfer Box ECU.
0x8D 0x008D Transmission Interface Bus fault.

I cleared the faults, run the test again from cold to the failed state, no errors logged.

I will drain/drop the gearbox sump off when we get some good weather to check the condition/level of the oil and if teher are any contaminants.

Do the symptoms/errors point to anything else I can check?

Thanks

Boffy

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,280 Posts
Will the transfer box shift into low range and then back into high again?

The “noise on actuator signal” error is usually associated with a faulty transfer box shift motor potentiometer, and causes the transmission failsafe program to be triggered because the controller doesn’t know what range the transfer box is in.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.

I am assuming that the transfer box motor is working. The selector switch when activated shows the flashing low range dash light momentarily then steady, with a corresponding LOW GEAR SELECTED on the dash, when activated again, flashes momentarily then goes off with teh HIGH GEAR message. The transmission behaviour also changes depending on which range is selected.

At both High and Low range the selection between D and R works smoothly initially. After a few cycles there is a 1-2 second delay then a "thunk" after selecting D which gets coarser and coarser until the transmission goes to failsafe. In Low range the delay and "thunk" is also there when selecting R. At this point if I select D and High range I can rev the engine though she remains stationary, If I select low range at this point she moves away.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,

So I have read as much as I can on the ZF 5-speed autobox, and if I am reading things correctly, my symptoms point to the loss of hydraulic pressure as both D and R give issues so the fault it is not limited to one drum/clutch.

Before I drop the box out of the car, can anyone concur with my analysis or does anyone know an additional test/fix that can be done with the box in-situ.

Thanks

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts