RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 08 RR Supercharged at 130k miles stranded her this morning and I'd appreciate your ideas.
Pulling off from a stop sign, she got high revs and no movement. After a couple of guys pushed her into a parking lot, she found that the gear shift feels normal but is useless. The transmission will not go into any gear or even park. My train of thought on this from least painful to most painful goes: Gear shift linkage, Torque converter, Transmission.

Are there any other options I'm not thinking of, especially an ID-ten-T option that i should check before moving on to the next thing?

I haven't done much work on her car, just the alternator and brakes, but i am comfortable with working on it. I do drive it semi regularly and there have been absolutely no slipping, hard shifts or any other transmission clues. I'm currently at work and am trying to formulate a game plan. I obviously have no codes but will update when i get my hands on the car.
Thanks,
David

Edit: On second thought, torque converter wouldn't cause this issue, so, gear shift linkage, rear diff, or transmission...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts
Certainly worth checking that the cable is moving the selector lever on the side of the transmission, under the vehicle

Does the gear position indicator on the instrument panel correspond with the position of the gear lever?

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I dropped by the family mechanic that towed it,and there is a prominent whine that seems to be coming from the transfer case. There is no check engine light. I assume that a broken transfer case would also cause Park to fail. This would be a better outcome than the transmission being bad....
Edit: Can the transfer case be rebuilt? If so, i could snag a junkyard part and rebuild the current one. Just looking at options.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts
Output shaft spline failures aren’t unheard of, either.

Caused by fretting corrosion, due to lack of lubrication of the splines during assembly at the factory. You would usually hear a grinding noise, though, to accompany this failure.

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I'll just buy a reman unit and put it in since it's my wife's car and she's mourning every day it's off the road. Any But I have to say that your breakdown is the best I've ever seen, Phil!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there any websites you recommend? I know about Atlantic British, and I usually get my parts for other cars through Rockauto. Are there any others that have particularly good reputations?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Output shaft spline failures aren’t unheard of, either.

Caused by fretting corrosion, due to lack of lubrication of the splines during assembly at the factory. You would usually hear a grinding noise, though, to accompany this failure.

Phil
Removed

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts
We need to be careful to distinguish here between the later L322 with the 6HP26 transmission and the Magna Steyr DD295 transfer box (Davrodiver) and the earlier 5HP24 transmission with the New Venture Gear NV225 transfer box (pontoon). They have completely different issues.

@pontoon
Not sure what you mean there. That’s the oil pump housing in the photo, with the splined shaft which earths the one-way clutch (sprag) for the stator in the torque converter.

@Davrodiver
On the basis that issues with the 6HP26 transmissions are far, far more common than issues with the DD295 transfer box, how certain are you that the fault lies with the transfer box?

Phil

·
Registered
301 Posts
We need to be careful to distinguish here between the later L322 with the 6HP26 transmission and the Magna Steyr DD295 transfer box (Davrodiver) and the earlier 5HP24 transmission with the New Venture Gear NV225 transfer box (pontoon). They have completely different issues.

@pontoon
Not sure what you mean there. That’s the oil pump housing in the photo, with the splined shaft which earths the one-way clutch (sprag) for the stator in the torque converter.

@Davrodiver
On the basis that issues with the 6HP26 transmissions are far, far more common than issues with the DD295 transfer box, how certain are you that the fault lies with the transfer box?

Phil
Didn’t mean to cause confusion , just an off question sorry. Op did say he has a different model vehicle.Wrong photo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not certain. The sound I'm hearing is coming from the area of the transfer case, none of the gears work at all, and my son heard what he described as "a chain hitting something". I haven't gotten back under the car since i got it towed home because they parked it in the yard and it's been cold with rain and flurries. I'll get back under it tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.
Edit: Also, with a failure this drastic, I would assume codes appearing if the transmission were the issue.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Your failure is exactly what I had happen, caused by a simple assembly mistake that Land Rover apparently makes too frequently when mating the transmission to the transfer case.
Unfortunately it's not as simple as replacing the transfer case or the transmission. It damaged the splines on both the transmission output shaft and the transfer case input shaft.
Land Rover assumes no fault and offers no consideration in repairing their failure.
This link should get you to a thread I posted when I had the problem...

It should give you some info on the path I traveled with the problem.
End story was a complete rebuild of the transmission and transfer case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got under the RR and listened with the different gears and high/low engaged. The sound is definitely coming from inside the transfer case. It could easily be the spline shaft, unfortunately. Luckily, I just found RRPhil's marvelous breakdown of the transmission! Should the spline shaft be the problem, I might just have to break into my first transmission. Considering that the car shifted smoothly and I've never felt any issue with it, what basic kit should i get for this rebuild? What issues should i be looking for? It has the plastic bottom, is there an upgrade I should be looking for? I obviously need the output shaft and will be replacing the filter.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If it is the output shaft, you'll also be tearing into the transfer case, since they go in pairs.
What you need will range from the basics - output shaft for the transmission and input shaft for the transfer case.
As you see from the posts I wrote when I went through this, I had a good local Aamco shop rebuild them for me after I found sources for the replacement parts, and opted for all the new wear-item replacements I could, and any upgrades available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, now that our tornado issues are pretty much over except for cleanup, I've finally gotten my transfer case removed. And as expected, The tranny output shaft and mating tranfer case spline are rusted badly. The output shaft also has enough play to allow some fluid to escape.
So now my issue is to figure out what transmission i have for parts purposes. The cobra transmission website seems to have the following for my year model: 6R75 Output Shaft (4wd)(2006-2008) 95678EA (6L2Z-7080A), on the following web page: Shafts | Cobra Transmission Where do I find out if my transmission is a 6R75 or another model?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just took a look at it and it's 1068 020 070, and yes, that is the correct one. Cobra seems to be out of stock... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,930 Posts
the bigger question how did water get into these parts?
have you been wading?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts