Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin I just changed the front air bags and had the beat the heck out of the bolts to get them strut bolts out. So wouldn't surprise me if I damaged something but it seemed to go together and work great. After that I let my daughter take it and she calls and says it just reved while driving and won't move. No nothing reverse drive nothing.So I rush off to help but before I get to her she calls to say it's working again after a restart.

So the next day I decided to change filter and fluid. Fluid smells burnt but pan looks clean. Install the new pan and fluid lifeguard 6 about 5 liters while I burn my arm!
Now everything seems great and shifts great.so she drives it a few days all is great and suddenly I get a call same issue just won't go as she coasted to a stop and shut it off. I get to her 30 min, later and drive it home and it's perfect! I drive it for another hour driving stopping accelerating no issues at all?
I've looked the forums over but don't see anything like what I'm experiencing.
Everything works great until it doesn't other than and I don't know if this is normal as I've only had it a year or so the torque converter seems to be locked when first taking off and cold. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
61 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, had to beat the hell out of lower strut bolt. Now no transmission. Display isn't showing reverse camera and I can't get to setup screen.
Transmision just not engaging:(

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
374 Posts
These two items, front struts and transmission, are in absolutely no way related. Sad that Blood never provided a follow up on his transmission issue.

See if the transmission works in sport mode when you have this failure. I realize that means getting stuck alongside the road again. If you are not willing to wait for that and want to be a bit proactive, you can try the simple fix RRPhil suggested - Lubricating the selector lever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't work in sport mode or command shift mode. I looked at the selector lever. It seems in good condition. I'll try RRPhil's fix tomorrow if I can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does your truck have the variable damping system (two wires coming out of the top of the strut assembly). If so, I thought I read somewhere that those wires are prone to breaking and cause multiple issues. Worth a check.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brilliant!! I lubricated the selector and I am engaging intermittently. I am afraid to take it on the road because it doesn't always engage. I'm still going to take it to the shop. I may just drive it myself rather than get it towed. Hopefully that is it. Better than a new tranny!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to update. It appears all my hammering and cranking on the strut bolt with an extended breaker bar popped the left axle out of place. The technician was able to push it back in and the "C" clip popped into place. Turned out to be a pretty simple fix!:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wow! When you said you had to beat the hell out of it, I didn't take you that literally... My apologies. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts