RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my newly purchased P38 doesn't have an available service record I would like to get the transmission fluid flushed or do a drain and fill however I have been told that it can regularly cause the clutch pack to slip if it hadn't been done on a regular basis in the past. My transmission shifts smooth as butter but I am a car freak and want all my vehicles running at there peak performance all the time and have changed all the other fluids. What do the RR professionals out there think about this? How about the transfer case ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts ? I dont want to spend $80 changing the fluid and then $4,500 because the transmission starts slipping right afterwards ? Should I just let a sleeping dog lye ?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Transmission fluid is supposed to be replaced at 90k miles according to the owner's manual. I just did mine and my transfer case oil

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Go ahead and do the filter and fluid. I have yet to do a "flush" myself, but do change the fluid and filter at the correct intervals, if not before. My rigs get the trans fluid and filter at 50k miles. LR's recommendation of 90k miles is too long IMHO. Just like them saying that the MkIII gearbox is "filled for life" and requires no fluid or filter changes......
You dont say what year your P38 is, and my crystal ball's batteries are shot, so not a clue as to whether you have a dipstick or not.....

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
You dont have a dipstick then, so will have to follow one of the many threads saying how to refill to the correct level.

Martin

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just did this. My trans shifted smooth as well but at 103k and no previous records it was time to change. Fluid was as black as coffee.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The answear is Yes, do it.

You should absolutely drain both the transfere case and the transmission as soon as possible. Change the filter and refill according to manual.

You should actually check the fluid level ( top up )at each 20 000km and drain and refill at each 40 000km both the tranny and the transfere case. The tranny filter is due first at 40 000km then at 160 000km, then I would recommend you replace the filter as well, every other time you do the drain ( at each 80 000 km intervall ) .

Dexron III ATF in both.

But it is extremely important that you have read and understood the refill prosess fully:!:

Best regards Brage

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
666 Posts
go for it - oil is the most expensive part as it takes a lot! 1ST p38 (1997 4.0SE auto) did it on the driveway suspn locked off in high. dry non windy day - filter, seal, oil - made no difference to the already great quality change BUT I had piece of mind that the slightly darkening red oil coming out was over due (117K) - I'd done 500 miles in her before I changed the oil --- replacement car got last Sept (132k 1998 4.6) had an oil change so the PO (a mechanic) claims 12 months before when he bought it - but not the filter -- er.......... change is 'OK' but this time I'm expecting an improvement -- anyone fancies a 'beer token' bet as to colour of the oil when it comes out,,,??? maybe weekend after next.... Psst - I reckon dark dark brown

1 - 9 of 9 Posts