RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of acquiring parts to replace all of the fluids in my recently acquired 2007 Range Rover Sport supercharged w/100,500 miles.

I'm going to be doing the engine oil (due in 800 miles), flushing/replacing the front/rear diff, transfer case, transmission, Dynamic Response system, and also the supercharger oil.

I found this kit for the transmission and from what I can see it appears to everything you could need to complete the job for $290 shipped:
http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-change-kit-for-bmw-hyundai-jaguar-land-rover-rolls-royce-186-61.html

My dealer quoted me $281 for the pan w/integrated filter, $25 for the gasket and o-ring, and $170 for the fluid = $470. With labor I would be over $1100 to have them complete the job.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to tackle the transmission pan replacement myself. I have only basic tools and no access to a lift, so there's a good chance I find an Indy to do the job for me. I'm proficient at jobs such as brake replacement, oil changes, spark plugs, standard strut replacements (haven't ever done air suspension stuff before), so I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to tackle this myself.
CarX (a shop that's worked on my previous BMWs) can do the labor for approximately $350 if I bring in my own parts.

Dealer: $1100
DIY cost of parts: $290
Indy shop: $640 with supplied parts

So with all that mumbo jumbo, my questions are whether or not everything appears to be be good in the link I provided above for the transmission pan/fluid, and whether or not you believe it's a viable DIY project for someone without a lift and moderate wrenching ability. If not, would you trust an Indy shop to do it for you knowing how expensive these transmissions can be to replace?

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Holy crap indy shop charging $640 for labour?

My indy quoted ~$500 with parts call the Euro Shop though it's way too much of a drive from Madison imo

while "you're in there", if you transmission seems like it is slow to shift (ie when you put it into drive and it takes it a moment to start) replace the bridge seal and mechatronic seals.

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry I didn't write that very well, the Indy shop's labor would be $350, so $640 total with me supplying the pan/fluids.

It seems to shift into gear very quickly from Park to Drive, so would you still recommend changing those seals are do you believe they'd be good to stay in place given the lack of issues currently?

I Google'd The Euro Shop and saw options in Lake Villa, IL and Appleton, WI, which one were you referring to? I have family near Appleton and I go up there quite often, so that could certainly be a reasonable place to go and have them do the work while I'm up there..

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
103 Posts
I recently replaced the trans fluid on 2012 RRS Supercharged with a conversion kit from Atlantic British, it uses metal pan and makes the job a lot easier because it’s a separates filter from the pan which doesn’t require you to raise anything to get the original oil pan out, the job was relatively easy but it does make it a lot easier having the car on the lift, took me about 3 hours to do it myself but everywhere I went to I got quoted $700 with me bringing the parts myself, the kit also includes a valve body sleeve, it’s a good idea to replace a shifter link as well while you’re down there. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKWFL

R

·
0 Posts
Very cool, I didn't know that conversion kit existed!
How long ago did you install it? Guessing you haven't had any issues with it since then?

I also get 10% off if I order before 5-7-18..

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
103 Posts
About 3 months ago and so far no problems at all, the only thing I would make sure if you do end up ordering is to get the kit with a black rubber gasket, the green one is to thin and I actually had to do it twice because it was leaking but ever since I installed it with the thicker gasket doesn’t leak at all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts