RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I have a standard 2004 L322 HSE with 140,000 miles on it. I am inquiring to see if you recommend changing the transmission fluid at this milage or leave it. I am conflicted because I know it needs it BUT, I don't want to disturb the sediment in the current fluid although I also want to prolong the life of the vehicle and perform the needed services. Any recommendations? I essentially don't want the trans to slip if I did change the fluid, causing more harm than good. Any personal experience / recommendations servicing the fluid at this high mileage? Thank you.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
ZF recommends 80K service if I remember correctly. BMW are the folks that claimed sealed for life.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
If you do it right, i.e. remove the pan instead of just draining through the plug, then there is no sediment to disturb...it all gets thrown out with the cat. And "YES" do it now. I do mine every 20k miles, as this tranny is known to have some issues. If you do it early and often I know you can extend the life of the tranny. If you wait until you have an issue, hoping that a fluid change will help repair a broken tranny...that's a pipe dream.Fluid change is a preventative procedure. It is not a repair procedure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts