RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Range Rover with 125k miles. I bought this 3 months ago. I am very mechanical and have rebuild engines, brakes, suspension, and the list goes on.

Accoding to the shop records the previous owner gave me, he had the transmission filter and fluid changed last summer. But, i noticed the fluid cost $6/ quart, so i know it wasn't the correct fluid. I ordered the correct fluid and a filter to perform this service.

Last night i went to change the transmission filter and found a problem with the fill plug. There was no 8mm allen bolt, instead there was a 13mm bolt sticking out of where the plug should be. Turned the bolt and it broke off leaving a nub, so i now cannot remove the fill plug. I'm guessing the shop stripped the plug, and welded in a bolt so they could tighten it and get it out of their shop instead of replace the plug they damaged.

Any ideas on how to get the fill plug out without removing the transmission? I know this is a long shot, but i thought i would check here before i schedule some time and drop the transmission in the coming weeks.

I have attached some photos to show what i am talking about.

Ryan

[/URLhttp://s296.photobucket.com/user/reamesryan359/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdcsrzfwc.jpg.html]

[/URL]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dang...you gotta love PO's!!

My only thought would be that, while you have the pan down, maybe you can fashion short bits and use an angle head drill to drill it out and retap. I know from changing my fluid that you have VERY little room to work...so it may not be possible. But it's worth a try before dropping the tranny.

·
Registered
869 Posts
One day I need to write a book on all the lame attempts shade tree mechanics have used to get a car "on down the road". To save a 10 minute trip to the store they cost those of us who do it right weeks fixing it.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
I suppose you could always dril a hole in the pan, and turn the truck upside down to fill it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My current plan it to drill a hole in the plug and try to use an extractor bit to get the old one out. But, there isn't much room to do that without lowering the transmission a little bit. Hopefully, i come up with an easier solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts