RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 Range Rover with the 4.4 Jag V8, and as soon as I got it home I changed the engine oil, differential oil, transfer case oil, differentials front and back oil and transmission fluid. After pouring in the new fluid until it was leaking out of the fill plug, I tightened the plug and started it up and went through PRNDL 20 seconds each. I poured more oil in until it was leaking out of the fill hole again and it was all good. On my way to the mechanic to get it certified, it was not shifting out of fourth gear. When I got there, they told me that the fluid level was very low. They topped it up with the same oil that I had put in there (I had a couple bottles with me) and it has been great for the past couple months or so for long trips and regular driving. I was getting a rough shift out of first gear on cold starts, but it got better after I reset the transmission data (push brake for 20 seconds while truck in "on" but not started). ever since changing the transmission fluid (I did it by threading in a pipe fitting and attaching a hose onto it and bringing the hose up into the engine bay and pouring it in the clear pipe down to the plug), when I turned on the heater I would smell transmission fluid when I am sitting at a traffic light or parked, not when I am driving. Originally I thought that this was just some leftover oil that I had spilled onto the engine are and when the truck heated up I would smell it, however I am starting to get concerned now because after a month of driving regularly it should have burned off by now. The other week, when I started it and put it into reverse and drive, it would not go anywhere. I re-started the truck and it was fine for a long time. After starting it yesterday, the driver information centre said "Transmission fault, Limited gears". I freaked out so here I am now. Thanks for your time I appreciate it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you topped it up to the fill hole, was it while the truck was running and the fluid temp was 40 C degrees? or as high as 50 degrees. Assuming you used the proper fluid lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 or an equivalent such as Mercon SP made by Shell Texas for Ford ZF licensed transmissions.

"Transmission fault, Limited gears" can be any number of things not related to the transmission, lots of postings on that. Battery, alternator, bad connection, etc.. You really need to pull OBD2 codes with a fully charged battery to start troubleshooting that. Hope that you don't find any incorrect gear ratio fault codes. By chance did you change the mechatronics sealing sleeve when you exchanged fluid? If the connector is not seated fully you can get the trans fault message. I got stung by a GM sleeve (GM Part #24239878) for their version of the 6hp26. I ordered it and it said OEM. It listed all of the 6hp26 variants including GM, Ford and ZF. The package came and it was GM/AC Delco not ZF. It was really tight and apparently didn't allow the connector to seat fully which gave trans fault messages. Replaced with a genuine ZF one that fixed it. The female pins on the connector can also get pushed in so have a check for that if you did disturb it when changing fluid.

Trans Oil fill Info 4.4 Jag V8 - ZF 6HP26X
A) Transmissions fluid level checking.
1) The transmission fluid temperature must be between 30°C and 35°C before checking can begin. Use test equipment to determine the trans temperature.
2) The vehicle must be level with engine running at idle speed and air conditioning turned on.
3) Step on the brakes firmly, apply parking brake fully and shift to D and R, briefly pausing in each position before shifting back to the Park position.
4) With the engine running at idle speed and the selector in Park position, remove the filler plug. Monitor the transmission temperature, if a small stream of oil runs out at 40°C, the fluid level is correct.
5) If no oil runs out when the filler plug is removed, the fluid level is too low and oil needs to be added until it overflows.
6) With engine running, install the oil filler plug and tighten to proper torque.

B) Adding fluid after repairs.
1) With the engine stopped and the transmission in Park position, remove the oil filler plug. Add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out.
2) Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand. Start the engine.
3) With the engine running, remove the oil filler plug and add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out. Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand.
4) Follow the “Transmission fluid level checking” procedure described in section A) above.

C) Notes on fluid level and adding procedure.
1) Use only ZF-LifeguardFluid6 or OE approved transmission fluid.
2) If the transmission temperature rises above 50°C during the fluid level checking procedure the resulting oil level will be to low. Let the transmission cool down and repeat the fluid level procedure.
3) Have transmission fluid and a suitable oil pump available before starting the fluid level procedure. The transmission fluid temperature will rise quickly during the checking procedure.

D) Drain and filler plug location.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you topped it up to the fill hole, was it while the truck was running and the fluid temp was 40 C degrees? or as high as 50 degrees. Assuming you used the proper fluid lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 or an equivalent such as Mercon SP made by Shell Texas for Ford ZF licensed transmissions.

"Transmission fault, Limited gears" can be any number of things not related to the transmission, lots of postings on that. Battery, alternator, bad connection, etc.. You really need to pull OBD2 codes with a fully charged battery to start troubleshooting that. Hope that you don't find any incorrect gear ratio fault codes. By chance did you change the mechatronics sealing sleeve when you exchanged fluid? If the connector is not seated fully you can get the trans fault message. I got stung by a GM sleeve (GM Part #24239878) for their version of the 6hp26. I ordered it and it said OEM. It listed all of the 6hp26 variants including GM, Ford and ZF. The package came and it was GM/AC Delco not ZF. It was really tight and apparently didn't allow the connector to seat fully which gave trans fault messages. Replaced with a genuine ZF one that fixed it. The female pins on the connector can also get pushed in so have a check for that if you did disturb it when changing fluid.

Trans Oil fill Info 4.4 Jag V8 - ZF 6HP26X
A) Transmissions fluid level checking.
1) The transmission fluid temperature must be between 30°C and 35°C before checking can begin. Use test equipment to determine the trans temperature.
2) The vehicle must be level with engine running at idle speed and air conditioning turned on.
3) Step on the brakes firmly, apply parking brake fully and shift to D and R, briefly pausing in each position before shifting back to the Park position.
4) With the engine running at idle speed and the selector in Park position, remove the filler plug. Monitor the transmission temperature, if a small stream of oil runs out at 40°C, the fluid level is correct.
5) If no oil runs out when the filler plug is removed, the fluid level is too low and oil needs to be added until it overflows.
6) With engine running, install the oil filler plug and tighten to proper torque.

B) Adding fluid after repairs.
1) With the engine stopped and the transmission in Park position, remove the oil filler plug. Add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out.
2) Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand. Start the engine.
3) With the engine running, remove the oil filler plug and add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out. Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand.
4) Follow the “Transmission fluid level checking” procedure described in section A) above.

C) Notes on fluid level and adding procedure.
1) Use only ZF-LifeguardFluid6 or OE approved transmission fluid.
2) If the transmission temperature rises above 50°C during the fluid level checking procedure the resulting oil level will be to low. Let the transmission cool down and repeat the fluid level procedure.
3) Have transmission fluid and a suitable oil pump available before starting the fluid level procedure. The transmission fluid temperature will rise quickly during the checking procedure.

D) Drain and filler plug location.
I filled it when it was cold; i was not aware that it had to be between 40 and 50 C. I was on my way to a mechanic to get it certified and it was a 15 minute drive so i am sure that it warmed up by then, and they topped it up with Valvoline MaxLife which Napa said was the right stuff for my transmission. I heard about that little boot and connections before, but i just wanted to change the fluid right away so that I dont grind anything worse while driving it, that is what i changed all the oils. Thank you for all the help, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update: I changed the oil again yesterday, this time properly, and The message went away. I drained it and filled it cold, then I started it up and while it was standing still I Shifted through the gears and held each one for couple minutes and even went through the gears in sport mode and held each one of those. I then drove it back and forth in the garage (15 minutes) and filled it up to the fill plug and there was still a steady stream when I screwed the fill plug back it. The message went away and I hope I fixed the problem. We will see later as I am going a 4 hour road trip today, But i will double check the level with my finger before I go. How long do I have to run it to get it to 40 or 50 degrees celsius so that I know for sure? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
How did the road trip go? It takes minutes for it to get to 40 depending on ambient temperature etc... I read somewhere else 5min starting from cold. I use the RSW 4DCan software. I would suspect many generic ODB2 connectors would have that too. If you want me to check if the Torque app displays it on the '06, I'd be happy to.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did the road trip go? It takes minutes for it to get to 40 depending on ambient temperature etc... I read somewhere else 5min starting from cold. I use the RSW 4DCan software. I would suspect many generic ODB2 connectors would have that too. If you want me to check if the Torque app displays it on the '06, I'd be happy to.
It went very well and problem free! I managed to get my hands on a thermometer out of a box on my basement and sure enough the temperature was 43 degrees and it was coming out in a stream. I just found it hilarious that when I went to pass a big truck (it was flinging stones at the front of my truck and windshield, I spent 20 hours waxing it and doing paint correction I wasn't going to sit behind a stone slinger) and I kept pushing the gas all the way because I was not going very fast and I had my foot to the floor and I was only going like 110 km/h. (I had to get out of the way it was a long truck) I knew the RR 4.4 Jag V8 was pretty slow and heavy as hell, but I didn't know it was that slow. I was really surprised when my pedal hit the floor and I wasn't accelerating that fast. this was a good test, and now I know that passing power is mediocre. Fine for most circumstances, but going from 70 km/h to 100km/h is very sluggish. On another note, I was getting a weird "ding" from the truck that I have never heard before. It is not the usual ding that I get when I leave the headlights on and take the key out of the ignition or anything like that, It was a very clear and modern sounding one; like the "fasten your seatbelt" on an airplane. It sounded like a sound a tesla would make or something, very modern, and it came out of the speakers like surround sound. The radio was on at first when I heard it, so I turned the radio off and it still made that noise. All in all it went well, very enjoyable to drive and cruise on the back roads. Handles surprisingly well around windy roads in Canada in the middle of nowhere, and After sitting in the chair nonstop for 5 hours I got out and felt amazing. My legs weren't asleep and back wasn't sore. Best road trip truck ever! also fits a lot of crap in the trunk, too bad for the lack of cupholders up front though. That plastic fold out one from the console is the most complicated mechanical contraption I have ever seen. Almost as bad as the ones on the W220 Mercedes S class, which currently hold the record for most over-engineered cup holder.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update on the fault: I had recently changed the tranny oil for the second time, and it was great! Ran smoothly, and shifted very crist and smooth. However, I have noticed a pattern; when I am driving backwards down an incline, I always get that message. When I drive the Range Rover down the hill backwards in my backyard, it always makes that beep and the warning comes up of the fault. Every time that this has happened, it has gone away after I shut off and re-start the engine. However, this time the engine light came on and it is still on after driving it around a little bit. The oil level in the truck is 100% perfect and there are no oil leaks--I know this because it sits on a concrete floor in the garage for days and does not drip oil.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
I had random warnings. Battery tested good but it was a few years old and not a top brand. I decided to roll the dice and replaced battery with the most powerful I could find and all warnings went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts