RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RRS. Each time I start it, I get a beep and a "transmission fault" warning message. Then, when I put it in park, I get the same message. It drives and shifts normally and I am not getting any other messages. After reading the forum, I purchased and installed a new brake light switch and I also checked all the brake light bulbs. That didn't help - I continue to get the same message. Any ideas what to look for next? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I had no transmission codes. The only other codes I had were C1A96 Brakelight switch circuit and P063C Generator voltage sense - circuit low. I am guessing the brakelight switch code was as a result of me changing the brakelight switch? I changed it hoping that it would cure the transmission fault message since I read that this might resolve it. It did not. Any sugestions of where to go from here? Thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
648 Posts
If the system shows a "transmission fault" on the dash then there must be a fault logged - its just how it works. However of things have corrected themselves it may no longer be there (but should be) - are you still getting transmission fault on the dash - if so the codes need to be reread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I finally had a chance to read the codes. I may have figured something out. In the transfer case control module section of my Icarsoft scanner, I get a P173E code: Ingition key lock solenoid - circuit low. When I clear this code, I instantly get a beep and "transmission fault" on my dash and the code instantly logs again. So, I am fairly certain that this code is causing the transmission fault message. Now, I am not quite sure what to do to correct it, though. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was thinking of locating the transfer case control module and making sure the electrical plugs are clean. Could it be that the transfer case control module is bad and sending too low of voltage to the ignition key lock solenoid? I am just not sure what to test next.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Found this thread when I googled your code

The key lock solenoid is what stops you removing the key from the ignition when the car is not in park. Can you remove the key with the car in drive?
Using a wiring diagram I traced the fault on my car back to a corroded wire in the drivers footwell. If you pull the carpet back there’s a multi plug. If I remember rightly the key lock solenoid wire was blue. On mine it had corroded either side of the multiplug. Joined it back together. Fault went away. Spent ages finding the problem and bought parts unnecessarily based on bad advice. In the end it was a 10 minute, free repair!! Good luck.
Quick update

So we traced all the wiring back and checked the footwell which was all fine, then spoke to my Land Rover tech who looked into it and said check the ecu the one that’s behind the battery, and there it was the pin was corroded and broke. Just tried the new ecu and it works all fine, no light key will not come out in drive so result after 2 days of nearly stripping most of the inside.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Argilla. I'll check this out. I am guessing that ECU behind the battery is the transfer case control module.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up stranded on the side of the road with a bad alternator. I replaced it and now I am back up and running. That said, I am still getting the transmission fault warning message and the ignition key lock solenoid circuit low code. And, when I clear this code, it comes back instantly and the transmission fault warning flashes on the dash at the same time. I tried to remove my key while in drive but wasn't able to so I don't think it is exactly the same problem as above. I also removed my center console and cleaned all the electrical plugs in there. I think my next step will be to remove the battery and have a look at the wire connections to the ECU back there and to peel back the drivers carpet and look at the wiring in there. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s resolved! I found a corroded plug connector on the transfer case control module. I unplugged it, cleaned it up, and discovered that one of the terminals was actually corroded away. I bypassed this terminal with a new wire. I cleared my code and all is good. It was a cheap repair but a bit frustrating to figure it out. Thanks for the help and I hope this post helps someone in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts