RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been having couple of issues with my 2008 RR Supercharged. They started one day I was in traffic and raised the car just for the sake of it. I was bored. Since then, the car hasn't been the same.:naughty:
I get this Transmission Fault Traction Reduced all the time I start up, it used to go away and last 3 weeks it's been persistent now shows up on each startup. After a while it started the HDC Unavailable, Stop safely soon, suspension fault and then the Christmas tree. I could turn it off and start and it could it disappear. I decided to take it to the stealership. They did their $250 diagnosis and said its a rear differential motor + housing. I decided to bite the bullet and have it replaced. So I paid $2600 total plus labor. After replacement the HDC Unavailable, Stop safely soon, suspension fault and then the Christmas tree disappeared. However, Transmission Fault Traction Reduced still stayed on after they replaced it and even before I got the car back they called and said if I want they do more diagnosis. After another day with the car they said they tried a diff module and it didn't fix it then they said the problem is the whole rear differential that needs to be replaced. There is no whining or anything. Since they asked for like $7000 for it I said no. Is this really the problem? Does the rear diff cost that much? Of course they quickly suggested I trade in if I want which I am not intending to do. What are my options? Should I search for a rebuilt and have it replaced at an Indy or i'm basically done at this point? I hate that I would be spending like 10k to fix a car. I don't think its worthy it. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
172 Posts
Forgive me but i do not even know where to begin with this... Your actions from the start seem strange and your assumption that raising the vehicle in traffic is somehow related to all of these issues is even more strange to me. The first thing i would recommend is to find a good import shop that is no where near that dealer. They dont sound like they are being very helpful or have been able to fix your problems. I dont think your issues are mechanical or rear differential related or at least not all of your issues.. I would be inclined to suggest your problems are electrical or voltage related, tired battery, alternator etc.. but with out fault codes or vehicle service history I wouldnt know what to suggest your next steps. More info about vehicle history and any other symptoms besides dashboard messages would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The traction reduced message actually may be the rear e-diff (which it sounds like they already did at great expense... the actual parts are much less, not sure how much labor there would be), that is not unheard of... usually it wouldn't be the entire physical diff... but even if it is, you can get them for MUCH less than 7k although unless you want to DIY you'll probably have to find an indy shop willing to install a part you order from the internet.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car apart from routine scheduled maintenance has not had any other problems apart from the rear passenger window regulator/motor that failed and I replaced the battery this past winter. It could also be the problem. So it might also be electrical as you said since at the rear panel the rubber has become stripped and could be letting water in. However, there in no way for me to tell this. I will definitely have the battery tested and the rear panel rubber or whole panel replaced since I saw its attached to it. The indy shop Expedition Autoworks does replace internet parts of course you have to sign a waiver. It doesn't have any other symptoms that I can tell. Last two days it hasn't brought up HDC Unavailable, Stop safely soon, suspension lowered.. Only the Transmission Fault Traction Reduced when I start it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts