RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Looks like I got the dreaded trans message. Its been driving fine with no issues or faults to date. We were out and about last night and all was good. Today my wife was going to run some errands and the message appeared in the display.

No leaks underneath that I can see. My reader wont work on this vehicle so no codes to give.
I have been reading posts most of the night and looks like I might be replacing some valves, I guess I need to pull some codes first.

Will check fluid level tomorrow after work. hoping that's all it is.

When I started it tonight and shifted from Park to Drive and park to reverse it shifted hard.
Any other thought's?

Thanks

This is on our 2008 4.4 HSE with 87,300 miles

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,267 Posts
As you say, your transmission is far too complex to accurately guess what the issue might be. You need the codes from a diagnostics kit capable of reading Land Rover-specific transmission errors. It could be a Mechatronic/solenoid issue but there should be a code stored for whatever caused the failsafe message to be flagged.

Phil

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil, I backed it out of the garage tonight and went down the street and back, seems its stuck in 3rd gear no upshifting or downshifting. No other messages in the display after the original Transmission Fault Limited Gears Only.

Still looking to se about a code reader. Have a relative around the corner that is a Cornwell tool dealer, he might have something or know a repair shop that does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this issue, it was the transmission solenoid. Mechanic found one bad, but replaced them all since extra parts were delivered.

2006 L322

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I bought an iLand and pulled trans codes, P0964-14 pressure control solenoid B control - circuit/open
also
u401-94
u402-94
u416-94
u403-94

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I bought an iLand and pulled trans codes, P0964-14 pressure control solenoid B control - circuit/open
also
u401-94
u402-94
u416-94
u403-94
5F83FF1E-7C71-4D6C-8019-1921D9FE24FC.jpg 900C9167-08F9-448E-90A4-9BAD38ADBEBF.jpg

Here are are the screen shots of the codes

there were other codes found but they were related to other things like seat heat/cool and navigation and light bulbs

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some more reading and research over the weekend and not quite sure where to go from here, It looks like a solenoid problem so replacing all of them may fix the issue?

I have located parts, but need to get exact model number of transmission.

Anyone have thoughts if this is the issue?

Thanks
Bruce

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,267 Posts
Your 6HP26X should be ZF model no. 1068 020 069. You can check this as the number is etched onto the casing.

As your vehicle has a shift lever for cable control (rather than a rotary dial for electronic control) your Mechatronic unit is the M-shift type rather than the E-shift type and the valve body has 3 blue, 3 yellow and one black (MV) solenoid.

You therefore need ZF solenoid kit 1068 298 044

Phil

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Phil!!, does it seem the solenoid kit should fix the issue? You are correct on the model 1068 020069. Just crawled under and got the info.
Going to get new pan, filter, oil. Solenoids, tubes, bridge and connector tube.

Www.thectsp.com gets it all under $600.00 us plus shipping. Looks like a project for the weekend, need to get the p38 out of there for a bit and come back to that one later.

Thanks again Phil for your awesome trans knowledge and your help on this. It’s our first L322 but 3rd rangie.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parts showed up yesterday and started it this morning, I took my time and followed steps closely. I have it back together and having issues, now getting a HDC Fault system not available and car won’t start, also getting parking brake message about automatic release not active.

DTC code p0705 on transmission now. Any ideas? I was hoping this was going to be a simple fix but seems I’m worse off now than before I started.

Hoping this is a simple fix and can get it fixed ASAP. Hoping for some guidance on this.

thanks!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
P0705 is a position switch open or short DTC. Don't think you got your shifter slide installed correctly, The switch is on the left side of the transmission on the valve body and the electronics part is on the mechatronics unit, if the P-R-N-D shift linkage isn't installed correctly you will get this code, and of course it won't allow you to start the car or release the parking brake. Going to have to pull the pan and check for the proper installation of the switch. If the switch itself is bad you need a new mechatronics unit. Should probably check your electrical connector is installed tight and is clean before opening up the tranny again. shift linkage attachment.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P0705 is a position switch open or short DTC. Don't think you got your shifter slide installed correctly, The switch is on the left side of the transmission on the valve body and the electronics part is on the mechatronics unit, if the P-R-N-D shift linkage isn't installed correctly you will get this code, and of course it won't allow you to start the car or release the parking brake. Going to have to pull the pan and check for the proper installation of the switch. If the switch itself is bad you need a new mechatronics unit. Should probably check your electrical connector is installed tight and is clean before opening up the tranny again. View attachment 272338
i think that’s the issue, I didn’t line up the shifter to the slide. I did get the pin in mechatronic unit lined up but didn’t think about the shifter, looks like the pan is coming off again, luckily I only got about 3 quarts of fluid in so far.

Thanks Mark!! Will take a look at it after I get the pan off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, that was the issue, transmission linkage wasn’t in the groove, lowered the mechatronic unit and back up with linkage in proper place. Reinstalled pan and juiced up with trans fluid. Took the 3 qts then took another 4 1/4 while running. Trip around the block and all was well. Checked level at temp and took another 1/4 qt or so.
Thanks again to Phil and Mark for your help. Another chapter in my wrenching on rovers complete!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
rover4.0
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing