Range Rovers Forum banner

Transmission Fault after changing fluid.

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  cheebs 
#1 ·
So i have another issue after i change my transmission fluid. The first time i changed it i changed out the connector sleeve too but there was a small piece of Oring in there so it would not seat right. i found this by using a mini cam to look into the connector on the tranny side. This fixed my Bus communication issues. now after i changed the fluid the first time every thing was smooth even my 1st to 2nd shifts. The second time i changed the fluid to fix the connector issue the 1st to 2nd was crazy. It would feel like it was downshifting right before it shifted up but be fine for the day. The next day it would start and when you put it in reverse would go right to transmission fault. The codes do not come up under OBD code reading. It only comes up using the my icarsoft and only in the land rover auto gear box section. P0736 is what comes up sometimes p0730 and p0741. From what i read the torque converter solenoid needs to be replaced. I wanted to check to see if this was the case and if the other symptoms pointed to anything else and also ask if i should be replacing all of the other solenoids too?

#5 ·
I don't have this transmission in my RR, but I believe I have the same one in the Jag.

The o-ring issue is one that people have when they replace the sleeve that leaks. As your car worked fine the first go around, I would drain the fluid into a clean container, and redo you work. Do some research on this forum to see if you can find a discussion on the sleeve replacement, if not on this forum, go look at the Jag or BMW forums for cars that share the same transmission.

You will find plenty of write ups and even videos on filling the system, all which are typical of ZF transmissions. Basically the process is, drain, change filter/pan, fill until overflows, start engine, fill until overflows, run through the gears with brake on pedal (this should push out any air), wait until hits proper temperature to compensate for fluid expansion (add more fluid if necessary) and then install and tighten fill plug. You can final torque fill plug when you are done.

I doubt your issue was the slight tilt of the car, more likely a connection issue (maybe a solenoid, but at this point double check your work after removing the filter/pan).

On my RR I can do the actual filling with out jacking the car up, just do all the preliminary work first with the RR lifted and get everything set up so you can work from the side of the car reaching in from the passenger side. Do a dry run to see if you can do it this way - my RR has a different tranny but for your year I don't think it would be limiting. This will keep the car level.

#7 ·
Ok i did not think i did anything different than the write up but i got a semi rain free day and i redid everything. I followed the write up to the tee. Same issue. If i have air in the system it must have not released. On another note i used quarts of oil vs the gallon i used before and i could only get 3 quarts in before it came dripping back out the fill hole. I know the first time i got 5 and a half in before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.