RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, was driving down the road this week and forward motion stopped, came to realize all the transmission fluid had leaked out suddenly. Get towed back to the house, up on the rack and find the cause: One of the lines at the front of the transmission was hanging down (detached from the front of the transmission...)

On looking closer, the threaded part on the transmission side had sheared off, flush with the transmission casing. It was of course the vertical one that's hard to get to, not the horizontal, lower one on the pan that would be easier to replace.

In other words, the metal pipe was hanging under the transmission, loose, with the part of the transmission attached... (still threaded together..)

Does anyone know if this can be welded back on, or otherwise repaired? (Will try to add a photo later) Or do I have to replace the whole transmission?
Thanks-

·
Registered
948 Posts
I doubt you'll have to replace the whole transmission just for that. How's the access to the part in question? If the access is good, I suppose welding is possible. If not, maybe tap the hole to put a new thread and put in an adapter to accommodate the transmission line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the break... I'd say the access to that is not good?
IMG_1481.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
That doesn't look like a break to me, it looks more like something has pulled out?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yes, agree with Richard.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There appears to be a few variants to the oil pump stator used on a ZF 4HP22/24. Some have that section cast, while the other has a separate component screwed on. The part on the tip of the oil line, if you remove it does it have a thread?

·
Registered
972 Posts
This picture of the pump may help.
ZF4HP24  pump .png

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There appears to be a few variants to the oil pump stator used on a ZF 4HP22/24. Some have that section cast, while the other has a separate component screwed on. The part on the tip of the oil line, if you remove it does it have a thread?
Thanks- there isn't any thread exposed anywhere that I can see or feel... I haven't gotten back under there yet, but I think the part that's still on the hose is two sections threaded together- one is the male outside threaded part, and I think it's still attached to the female threaded part, and it's broken off above that... I have some work to do. But I'll update this thread when I have some answers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That doesn't look like a break to me, it looks more like something has pulled out?
Hoping it's not broken, but I can't see any exposed threading- so it appears that the section is broken off... I need to get back under there and try to separate the part still on the hose...

·
Registered
972 Posts
May be you can get an adaptor done.

·
Registered
492 Posts
there is no thead it's a cam lock type fitting. take note off the cut out on the press fit collet it goes around the retaining bolt beside it the flats are there so you can turn it to lock into position . also tighten the retaining bolt to lock it in . replace, fill with oil and see what happens

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I got back under there today, and found that the layer cake looking part that was still on the pipe was threaded together... The bottom part was the male side from the pipe, and the upper part was the female threaded pipe from the transmission side- it had sheared off. (Not sure how that would have happened... I hadn't hit anything....) They actually were easy to unscrew without tools- not sure what that means.

Anyway, the transmission casing is broken, and I don't think there's room to create threads in what's left. I don't think it could be welded in place, and if it's removed I don't think I want to trust a welding repair if I go to the trouble of pulling the transmission...
I'm guessing I have to find some threads about pulling the transmission and look for another transmission. Ugh.
I don't want to spend a couple thousand dollars on this, but I don't feel like I can send her to the yard yet...

Any thoughts welcome- and thanks to all those who commented. I appreciate it...

·
Registered
948 Posts
The part that broke off is part of the oil pump stator. You still have to get the transmission off the vehicle, but instead of replacing the entire transmission, you can just replace the oil pump stator. I've seen a used one being sold for about $100. If I were in your shoes, I would try the oil pump stator replacement and install a new torque converter as well for good measure as torque converters are a wear item. If you're game, you can also go the pick-a-part/junkyard route. I think you can buy a whole transmission for about $250, I believe. You can salvage the oil pump stator and keep the rest as a spare.

I've done a transmission service myself a few years ago on the P38. As long as you have a tall enough jack stands and a couple (to be exact 2) scissor lifts, the job is manageable. Quite a few members here have done the transmission service, so if you have any particular questions about the procedure I'm sure they will be answered here as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts