RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of posts concerning this issue but mine is a bit different. My 2003 HSE (4.4L V8) started giving me the Transmission Failsafe Program message on the dashboard about 3 or 4 months ago. This was when I started the car. The message would come up right after starting the car. When this happened. maybe once every week or two I simply had to put the car in reverse, go back a few inches (it would jump when put in reverse), and then put it in drive and go forward a few inches, turn the car off, let it sit for 20 seconds or so until the message cleared and when I turned the car back on all was fine. It did not bother me because it happened rarely and when it did, it was not hard to clear it. Recently it has been happening very often. Now it happens every day and sometimes every time I start it in that day. Now when I put the key in and try to start it doesn't even allow me to start the car and the message comes on. I then have to change the gear and take it through all the way down to drive and back to park when the car is in on mode (without the engine as it does not allow me to start) and turn it off. I then allow the message to clear, turn the key to see if it allows me to start (a lot of times it doesnt and I have to repeat the previous process), and if it does it starts with the same message which means I have to do the go backward and then forward again procedure which I had been doing before and then finally after turning it off, allowing the message to clear, and turning it back on it would work normally. Any suggestions as to what is causing this? A few months ago I came across a thread that hinted at replacing the transmission inhibit switch which I think is known as the neutral safety switch (please correct me if I am wrong). But I am not sure if this is the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you also happen to know where I can get this switch or have any pictures or diagrams as far as its placement or installation that I can give to my mechanic would be appreciated.
And in case you are wondering I never get the message when driving, reving the engine, or cornering as some other users say. It is just during startup. I think the fact that it is just during startup shows that it is not the oil or any cooling problems correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: A lot of times it does this when I switch into reverse as well. It just slams into that gear. Do you think replacing the Start inhibitor swtich/netural safety switch would help?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update: A lot of times it does this when I switch into reverse as well. It just slams into that gear. Do you think replacing the Start inhibitor swtich/netural safety switch would help?
Sounds like it... Does the gear indicator on your instrument panel switch off when this happens?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts