RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the scene. I have a 2003 RR HSE 4.4 which is troubled. When I floor the accelerator pedal there is a noise coming from the front end. Soon after that I get a Ding and then the transmission failsafe prog, a loud clunk, and the Low range light comes on. Sometimes when i shut it down and restart it will restart in low range. Then I have to crawl under the RR and disconnect the Transfer box wires and reconnect. Usually when I unplug the transfer box and re plug it, the transmission failsafe goes away. It will also do this sometimes when i get up to speeds over 65mph. RSW allcoms gives me these codes. Transmission interface bus fault, sensor short circuit to ground, sensor short circuit to battery,noise on actuator signal, shift to high, motor a short circuit to ground, motor a and b open load, encder signal error. It also did this while going up a steep bank offroad. Any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing the Transfer box motor. Thanks RRKevin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
I would suspect low battery voltage first and then maybe the shift motor potentiometer if the battery turns out to be okay.

Phil

·
Registered
1 Posts
had all this with my 2002 v8 vogue been to main dealers all they want to do is sell you a new tranny for capital gain don't be fooled i have a 116000 mile car showing same fault took mine to an indi to have fault codes read and this is a transmission transfer box motor fault sounds odd i know but trust me when this fails the can bus electrical system on these things kicks in replaced motor all ok now if your car goes into this mode if you turn off then back on and it shifts ok just for a while but repeats trans failsafe after that just replace the transfer box motor job done

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I went to the autoparts store and had them check my battery and alternator. The guy said the alternator was at Idle charging 14.7 v So I shut the engine down and he checked the battery which he said showed good. The guy went on to say battery tester says good battery but needs charge @ 66% with 12.36 volts (with engine off). So I am charging the battery I am doubtful that the battery is the problem but I just need to rule out this battery before I purchase this used transfer box motor I found for $350 and suppose to have 89,000 miles on it. Do you guys thank that $350 is a big gamble on a used transfer box motor. He is suppose to honor a 60 day guarantee on his used parts. My transfer box (when not in TFS) functions perfect. It will shift back and forth, no prob (when not in fault Will my Transfer box motor show bad if I check it with the ohm meter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can the Transfer box potentiometer be bad even if it functions perfect while not in Trans failsafe prog. I can shift from low to high to low no prob when not in fault.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Yes. It is likely to be the issue. I fought with it at first as well, but in the end I replaced it and never had further issues. I would not get a used one. They are too prone to failure.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
What does a new one go for? Has anyone seen any "good" deal on them?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
I'm having same issue by the way, but recently had my alternator go bad. Since I replaced it, I get a little hesitation up hills (kind of a stutter) but in all a smooth ride. Going on a two hour ride this weekend to stretch it's legs though....we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
RRKevin,

You might contact this company, http://xemodex.com located in Ontario, Canada, to see if they're still rebuilding these..., apparently with a lifetime warranty.

First discovered and elisted to rebuild his transfer box motor by bbukacek in his one and only post back in May of 2014: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/40567-transfer-box-potentiometer-dimensions-gyrogypsy-5.html#post784498

Ignored by most in the thread who read his post, but ChuckAZ sent his in for repair last year and posted of good results in November: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/40567-transfer-box-potentiometer-dimensions-gyrogypsy-7.html#post1463993

At about 20% of the cost of new, roughly the asking cost of unknown used units, a day or two turnaround time and warranteed, it seems a no brainer...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Phil, Figured something out tonight. If I insert a fuse into slot 37 my failsafe problem goes away. I dont have Low range but thats ok. The message is Slow down. Is it ok to run the RR like this. It makes me feel much better.
Thanks Kevin

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
THat is not a real good idea. Fuse 37 is for transfer neutral and towing. By inserting a fuse into that slow you are telling the program to disconnect low range and high range so that the rig can be flat towed on all four wheels. The message "slow down"... or whatever it says, is because the speed sensor input is registering too high to actually shift the transfer case motor. With a bit of bad luck you will pull up to a red light and the dang thing will decide to shift into neutral and leave you stranded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would suspect low battery voltage first and then maybe the shift motor potentiometer if the battery turns out to be okay.

Phil
Hello there! I have seen You have alot of knowledge about 5hp24 boxes :) I have a "no forward" issue, but sometimes it disappears, so I just wanted to ask a few things before I do anything to it.. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Forums are not your personal secretary service. The idea of a forum is to search, post your questions and help others if you can. Posting personal info to have folks contact you at home not only defeats the purpose but is a security risk as well.

Feel free to post your questions and someone with knowledge will be happy to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forums are not your personal secretary service. The idea of a forum is to search, post your questions and help others if you can. Posting personal info to have folks contact you at home not only defeats the purpose but is a security risk as well.

Feel free to post your questions and someone with knowledge will be happy to help.
Oh yeah sorry, I will make a new post about it! :) thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm happy to say that my transmission failsafe issue is solved. I bought a complete, used nv225 from a Rover guy in Kentucky. I'm proud to say that it doesn't have the popping under a heavy load, which I now know was the chain inside the case. The removal and replacement in my garage was an extreme project. The 2003- L322 is not fun to work on. If anybody has any questions about the project, let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts