RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year 2000 4.0 HSE a little overdue for an auto transmission fluid and filter change has a stripped out 5mm hex socket in the drain plug so removal is going to be destructive. Does anyone have thread and sizing data for the plug so I can make a new, better quality, one ready to put in afterwards.

Far as I can see this one has never been out so if the head strips on attempted removal after factory assembly, which ought to have been in torque tolerance, OEM quality isn't, in my book, good enough. Daft to buy one just to copy unless I have to! None of the usual UK suppliers seem to list it on line either.

By the way what in heck does that snubber bolt in the middle actually do? Far as I can see it just sticks up and gets in the way of removing the transmission oil pan, of have all the ones I've seen been missing something?

Clive

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
I have read your post and understand your dilemma. I have successfully completed the transmission service on my '99 4.0 SE (Bosch) which is the same as your 2000.

First of all, someone probably tried to remove the drain plug using the wrong size hex wrench. Each time I have done that, it was disaster. I have both SAE ad Metric hex wrenches and using a slightly larger wrench, I can tap it in and remove the bolt. But since you will be removing the transmission pan, you can work around removing this bolt if it is not leaking. The fluid can be removed through the "fill hole". The oil pan is held with six screws and uniquely shaped nuts that hold the lip of the pan. These are easy to remove, as I recall except for one that required a 1/4" extension socket. Once the pan is removed, you can work on the stripped plug on a bench instead of working upside down.

Second, replacing the filter is straight forward. When replacing the transmission oil pan, take care to assure that the gasket is secured in place. It can be the source of a mystery leak. I had a leak that appeared under the front bumper. Convinced that the source was the transmission cooler, I replaced it. The leak continued. Only after the Transmission Filter was replaced did the leak stop. Somehow the transmission fluid was spewed, thrown, or sucked forward. I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts