RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Ranger Rover 4.0 SE with 127K original on it.
It recently over heated and subsequently stopped automatically downshifting and the shift points were very low, i.e., less than 2000 rpm. This caused me to have to down shift manually.

As of yesteday it changed its mind and now down shifts without a change in the throttle position. Even when doing 45 mph in drive it will decide to downshift to third and over revving the engine, jumping back and forth between gears.

I have some mechanical skills but this is my first Ranger Rover and have no idea where to begin looking for the cause.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
But don't check it with the engine off or it will show as grossly overfilled. Check it by the book, engine cold but idling, run through all the gears, leave in neutral with the engine running and check then. Difference between the low and high marks is about a quarter litre.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, the oil level is a pinch over the top mark - I have only put about 3k on since I bought it and have not had to add any trany fluid so it is in the same level it was.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had strange shifting and reset adaptive values and it was fine. I believe my Throttle position sensor went wacky and resetting got everything perfect again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much, can you explain to me how to reset the adaptive values or is that something that must be taken to a dealer/shop?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used my Nanocom to reset the values, but you may try unplugging the negative cable on the battery but do this at your own risk because you may need the radio code and will have to set the windows ect again. Make sure alarm is off when you disconnect the battery and leave a door open when you connect it. A dealer could do it I am pretty sure. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Of course, if you would have put your general location in when you registered, and we knew where you were, it is possible someone with the proper test gear is nearby and could help?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you so much, can you explain to me how to reset the adaptive values or is that something that must be taken to a dealer/shop?
I don t think you can reset transmission ecu in Gems P38, it was available on later Bosch only, I guess. However, you can reset adaptive values on engine ecu. As the engine has a great influence on gearbox, in some cases it could be helpful.

Sent from my Lenovo A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about that Bolt, new to the forum.
I am in Naples, Florida. The problem is very intermitant. I can drive a few miles with no problems to my destination. When driving again the erractic downshift will begin... then next time no issue. I am really confused about that and have not found any shorts or loose wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you give me some direction on how to reset the adaptive values on the engine ecu? I need to fix this and have a limited budget... and dont want to create more issues.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
using appropriate scanner it becomes intuitive, I use autologic. select model, year range, gems or motronic engine management, and you will find the prompt for "reset adaptations".

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Folks, we have an entire section dedicated to diagnostic equipment below. This is not the place to repeat information or rehash pricing and abilities of each available kit.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
425 Posts
Here is an answer that has nothing or only marginally to do with diagnostics.
A client complained about being stuck in 3rd or irregular shifting in his discovery 2.
Yesterday he brought it in at last and we found a ball of chewing gum on the plug.
Here in Costa Rica people repair everything with grey chewing gum from water leaks to fuel tanks, cables and broken relationships.

This is part of what was the plug. We had varying results of random gearbox states in function of exhaust heat and wire looseness.

We are now trying to convince the client that he does need a new cable.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts