Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Despite searching the internet, calling shops and emailing Atlantic British, I cannot get a consensus on spec for these fluids in the L494. No one seems to have a service kit put together for these like our other vehicles except the engine oil kit I got from FCP Euro (great site). Even Atlantic British was a dead end. I searched our forum but nothing came up specifically for the L494. Lots of threads for other models/years. Our 2014 RRS is coming up on its 6th birthday so I'd like to baseline everything as the dealers won't give me a service history from a previous owner.... (if anyone has a workaround for this issue, let me know as well). Any input would be appreciated. I plan on getting a short term TOPIx subscription for torque specs, etc. as I do the work so perhaps they'll also have fluid specs but I have no experience with TOPIx. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I thought I saw somewhere that these are all sealed units and do not have serviceable fluids. Unfortunately I cannot find where I saw this. My 2014 has 72K and I have neither changed my fluids nor been propositioned to do so by the dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard this about other units but in my mind, if there is a drain hole, a fill hole or something that can pass for either, it gets serviced.
I believe the transmission takes "Genuine ZF Lifeguard Transmission Fluid 8, 1 Litre LR023288"

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
795 Posts
Check the workshop manual in my sig, it contains all the fluids specs

Do NOT believe the 'fill for life' crap that LR advertises, the ZF gearbox should be serviced every 80,000-100,000 km, depending on how hard you drive, tow, off-road, etc.

I had the local ZF shop service mine on 70,000km just after I bought it just for peace of mind.

Reactions: SlimPickins

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed both f/r differentials fluid this evening. Ended up being much easier than I originally anticipated. Both ends have fill and drain plugs with the latter being magnetic. I ended up using a cheap fluid hand pump and a little less than two quarts of valvoline synpower 75W90. Took a total about 45 mins, mostly due to all the bolts required to remove the skid plate up front. Hope this helps, my 2015 has just over 70k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Do NOT believe the 'fill for life' crap that LR advertises, the ZF gearbox should be serviced every 80,000-100,000 km, depending on how hard you drive, tow, off-road, etc.

I had the local ZF shop service mine on 70,000km just after I bought it just for peace of mind.
You sir, have just made my life far easier. Many thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
I'll open this post back up:
  • Can Valvoline Synpower or Royal Purple 75w90 be used on both diffs, no matter which type of rear diff("open" or "electronic")?
  • Transfer case: Can RP Synchromax be used? Any other recommended oils for this part?
I've used these oils on my previous RRS. Now with this SVR I'm baselining all fluids.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
428 Posts
  • Can Valvoline Synpower or Royal Purple 75w90 be used on both diffs, no matter which type of rear diff("open" or "electronic")?
  • Transfer case: Can RP Synchromax be used? Any other recommended oils for this part?
I've used these oils on my previous RRS. Now with this SVR I'm baselining all fluids.
Being as you have a SVR you need the same fluids as a V8 SC Dynamic which I own. ZF who builds the transmission recommends service at 70k. Other fluids I changed at the same time. Do not subscribe to the lifetime fluid BS unless you like to replace expensive parts down the road.

-Transmission service parts

-Front differential requires 75w90 fluid of your choice. I used Castrol synthetic

-Transfer case is LR IYK500010 & requires two bottles

-Rear differential is electronic locking so you need Castrol Bot 720 & requires two bottles

-Flush brake fluid every two years.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm super interested in your Royal Purple questions as well... love RP Synchromax... It really took a well built and well maintained 2005 Jeep Wrangler's transmission, gear box, and transfer case from shifting like a dump truck to a much more refined gear box design. I'm 90% positive I filled the rear Dana 44 Differential and the front Dana 30 pumpkin full of RP's Synchromax as well. I'd love to be able to get a Good to Go for my RR Sports Transmission, Transfer Case and Differentials... But I won't be doing that until I'm 100% sure of such...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard this about other units but in my mind, if there is a drain hole, a fill hole or something that can pass for either, it gets serviced.
I believe the transmission takes "Genuine ZF Lifeguard Transmission Fluid 8, 1 Litre LR023288"
In my '06 LR3, even though I had my own auto repair shop, I never changed the transmission fluid. I sold the vehicle with 198,000 miles on it a few months ago. The transmission was perfect. ZF makes great transmissions (mine had the ZF 5HP-24 6-speed). I don't think I'd touch the transmission in my '17 Range Rover Sport going forward.

·
Registered
795 Posts
In my '06 LR3, even though I had my own auto repair shop, I never changed the transmission fluid. I sold the vehicle with 198,000 miles on it a few months ago. The transmission was perfect. ZF makes great transmissions (mine had the ZF 5HP-24 6-speed). I don't think I'd touch the transmission in my '17 Range Rover Sport going forward.
Shame, the guy who bought your 06 will have a hefty repair bill when the gearbox eventually packs up.

You might think that the transmission was 'perfect', but these units are adaptive, meaning that even as the oil degrades, the ECU is adapting itself to the wear & tear going on inside. But eventually it won't be able to compensate for that, and then it'll start slipping/juddering/doing hard shifts. And when the shop eventually drains the oil, that guy will be in for a full rebuild or a new transmission depending on the damage done inside, so well done.

ZF themselves recommend changing the gearbox oil every 80,000km-100,000km, or sooner if towing lots, but sure, you know better than the German engineers who designed this unit.

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
@naks

Hey Naks... Do you know anything about Royal Purple's "SynchroMax" Transmission Fluid? I only ask because just as guys here use additives to the engine and swear by them... I wondering if anyone has used RP's SynchroMax on these ZF Tranny's and Transfer Case's? I'm POSITIVE someone here has. It did wonders for my 03' Jeep TJ's Transmission and Transfer Case. It went from shifting like a dump-truck to shifting like butter both the 5Speed and the going from 2Hi to 4Hi on the fly even at 45-55MPH on the Highway from dry to icy patches...

Would love your input on the subject!

-Ham

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry @Ham Hands, we don't get Royal Purple in this part of the world, unless you import it yourself - never heard of anyone local who's used it.

I also haven't heard of anyone using additives in either the engine or transmission, TBH, because our vehicles are sold with service plan, and dealers are very quick to cancel it if they detect any mods/additives.

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sorry @Ham Hands, we don't get Royal Purple in this part of the world, unless you import it yourself - never heard of anyone local who's used it.

I also haven't heard of anyone using additives in either the engine or transmission, TBH, because our vehicles are sold with service plan, and dealers are very quick to cancel it if they detect any mods/additives.
I keep forgetting where you are... And yes, I've heard of Dealers voiding warranties for even letting anyone having the oil/filter changed and serviced by an "Indi-Shop" before. I can certainly see that happening for using non JLR Spec'd oils.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.