Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second posting on an ongoing transmission problem with the 5HP24 transmission or is it a cooling problem? The car has 100000klm on the clock. After a 2000km Highway journey where the vehicle performed flawlessly the transmission developed a tendency to refuse to change up from third gear after about an hour in city traffic. Up until that point the transmission behaves quietly and smoothly. No warning signals appear on dash and the engine temp is dead centre.

Since my first posting where two kind fellow travellers advised me of the transmission oil cooling issues arising from sludge in the bottom of the radiator I have performed a complete flush of the cooling system and had the transmission serviced. The transmission performed flawlessly again when the service tech took it for a test drive. Though the oil was a little dirty there were no metal particles on the bottom of the filter pan. The trans diagnostics produced the following code 049-SYMPTON GEAR MONITOR FAULT.

If some one could explain what this code simply means I would be most grateful

After picking the car up from the service centre and another excursion through city traffic the trans issue surfaced again and once again I could step down through the gears but up no further than 3. On returning home I noticed that bonnet on the expansion tank side was hotter than usual. The dash showed no warnings and the engine temp was dead centre.

There are no coolant or trans oil leaks.

After trawling through many threads on this site I came to a Land rover bulletin closely describing this issue and it's recommended solution is to replace the radiator. So my next step is a given; replacing the radiator. How ever if it is a transmission cooling issue would it be possible to by-pass the original RR trans oil cooler and install a heavy duty air oil cooler instead?
I would like to here from anyone who has had a similar trans issue or by passed the original oil cooler with an air and similarly I would like to hear from anyone who could explain to me why it wouldn't work.

And at the end of the day I don't even know if this will resolve the transmission issues.

Range Rovers, they are such a unique journey

Kindest Regards to all you fellow travellers

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Re: Transmission cooling with TRANS FAULT CODE 049 2003 RR MK111

lots of posts on this issue. you may have to change trans cooler or make up adapters to connect an air cooled trans cooler and trans lines fittings may fail on disassembly or may be plugged. i put in a lower temp stat and that has delayed changing the cooler but it is on my list as is a trans filter and tc flush thru to replace the wrong fluid with the correct trans oil. i had the same message once and a few bouts where trans would not shift out of 2nd gear. island 4x4 in uk seems to be the best price for these parts. there is also a stat to run the existing trans cooler and there is a manifold that the trans cooler connects to that has been recommended as needing replacement

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Re: Transmission cooling with TRANS FAULT CODE 049 2003 RR MK111

I have a 2003 4.4 V8 and had the same problem although without the code fault. Tried flushing rad which worked for around 2 months. I have replaced both the radiator and the trans cooler unit in August 2014 and the car has been fault free ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts