RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have to replace my transmission cooler lines on an 06 SC L322.

In the past, I purchased an adapter to bolt to the side of the 6HP26 in place of the factory cooler lines. It has 8AN fittings.

I got some 8AN to 1/2" barbed adapters, and used hose clamps on rubber line to go to the cooler.

I left the stock fittings on the cooler and a few feet of line, cut the hoses, and used 1/2" barbed joiners and hose clamps.

The lines have been leaking, to the point where I had to tow it home yesterday and tighten the clamps and top up the tranny fluid.

I have a shop in town that will make me proper braided lines with 8an on one end to connect at the tranny, but I don't know what fitting will connect to the factory coolers "quick connect" fittings in place of the factory lines.

Anyone know what those connectors are called on the factory transmission cooler, mounted to the rad?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Why not just use the proper lines and take all the guess work and bodge jobs out of the picture. Remember that you have a high pressure line and low pressure line in the mix. Non crimped lines on the high pressure side are always an invite for leaks, failure and fire. Is it really worth dealing with a failure or a full on flame out to be able to say you saved a few bucks?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initially I was going to order factory lines from the dealer. Was about to call and order them this morning.

The lines will cost me $200 to $300 each. I need the pair of them.

Properly made lines with -8 AN crimped at one end, and quick connect EFI (IF that's the correct fitting for the cooler) crimped at the other end should cost me half the price.

The savings is one thing.

RRToadHall, do you think these lines would be any less reliable than factory lines, if properly made? I think they are rated for the same pressure and temperature?

My current setup with 1/2" hose and push on connectors and worm gear clamps can't handle the pressure, and isn't reliable.

The reason I'm leaning towards making the lines, is to add a tranny cooler in line after the factory cooler in the future.

I monitor tranny temps and have had it a lot hotter than I would like when playing in the mud and on trails on weekends.

If I go with factory lines, I know I won't have any issues. And I'll take it easy on the transmission.

If I make lines, I can add a cooler, and work the vehicle a bit harder offroading.

What would you do?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I replaced the cracked factory lines a few years ago with rubber hose. The clamps on the tranny side I caught leaking a bit 6 months ago and tightened up. Not leaking enough to drip, but I could see fluid around the connection at the tranny and a bit of fluid surrounding it.

The hose connection between my rubber hose and the factory hoses off the tranny are what started leaking yesterday morning. The clamp was pulling off the 1/2" barbed joiner. It likely hadn't been leaking for more than a week.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Started leaking at the connection between the factory lines off the cooler, and the lines I installed. Sorry.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody? I'm going to pull the line off the tranny cooler and take it to a shop tomorrow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts