RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have advice on replacing transmission cooler lines? there are three of them total and I plan on doing all. one of them burst on the way home the other day and I barely made it home. fluid gone with a smoke cloud from the back, where it was smoking up on the exhaust. the parts seem to be 99-150 each depending on who sells them, and the labor at the shop is 250.00, and the parts are more. Therefore it will be a very messy do it yourself deal and i am not looking forward to it. the underbody is coated with fluid.

any advice? thanks as always.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
Look on the bright side. If it's that oily underneath, it's going to keep the rust at bay!

The only "problem" I had when replacing mine recently was getting the connectors off the cooler itself as the threads get heat welded. You have to be patient, use lots of releasing agent and work the nut back and forth to get it off slowly. If you rush it, you will knacker the threads and then be looking at a new cooler also

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had almost the same problem with them being so rusted they busted while driving except mine caught on fire lucky was able to put it out without any damage, but the cheapest place I found them was this website http://bputah.com/Parts/rccool.htm all three lines for $245 with o rings

FYI: I did find out that (well at least in my 1990) the whole radiator has to be removed there is a brackets directly under the radiator holding the two lines down to the cross member of the frame. Other wise the radiator could just be loosened and the lines slipped out from under it. It made the job take twice as long

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did all of mine (transmission and oil cooler lines) last year. I didn't run into any problems. Just remember to remove the old O-rings when you take the old lines off. Some of mine did not come out with the lines. I had to get a small screwdriver and remove them from the cooler.

Colin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close this thread, I took/Towed the RR to British autoworks here in Seattle and they replaced one hose for almost $600.00. I was not able to identify which of the hoses was bad and didn't feel like doing them myself all together and also no time now to do it... and it is raining.

Anyway, i will not be going back there; they are crazy... and perhaps on something. dissapointing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yikes!! Sorry to hear about the raping. I would never pay someone to work on my Rover if I knew I could do the job myself. These things are just too expensive to be paying someone to do the work.

Colin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine on my 1992 RRC just busted yesterday about 1/4 mile from the road on a 4x4 trail in Colorado. It was the line from the round cooler behind the grill in front of the condenser to the radiator. We put some fusion tape (thanks to a friend having it) on it and it limped down to the road where I had to park it and return later with a trailer to get it home. I'm now getting all 3 and keeping fusion tape in my vehicle from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts