RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:
1998 Range Rover P38 Gems. I’ve been chasing down a number of leaks, including exhaust leak, oil cooler line leak and now what appears to be a transmission cooler leak. I replaced the center muffler today so the exhaust leak is gone. I also ordered the oil cooler lines for next weeks project.

That brings us to the transmission cooler leak. I noticed fluid on the bottom of the radiator just below the thermostat. The fluid is red so I assume it is the trans cooler. How hard is it to replace the trans cooler? Where exactly is the trans cooler located. I can trace to cooler lines into the radiator but where does it sit? Is there a DIY?

·
Registered
364 Posts
It is right behind the grill. If it is leaking it may need to be snugged up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I will remove the front grill and check it out and report back. I just bought a subscription to AllDATADIY for the 1998 Gems P38. Very helpful.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took off the grill and was able to check out all of the radiators. Appears that the Transmission cooler is leaking from the right side. Ordered up new transmission cooler, o rings and oil cooler pipes as were both leaking. Spent about $700 in parts in last two weeks. New center exhaust, oil, oil filters, transmission cooler, and oil cooler pipes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey while you are in there make sure to check on this section of ac condenser. the rubber can harden and grind it down.
I caught mine in time but since you are in there why not check it out.
20180618_124341_LI.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xrav22, what exactly am I looking for with respect to the rubber on the ac condenser?

I got the tranny fluid cooler replaced without much issue. However, both of my oil cooler lines were leaking so I bought new ones. However, when I tried to get the old coolant lines off I ran into significant problems. I soaked the nuts with PB blaster and waited for a few hours and they would not budge. I was able to get the lines off at the filter housing area. So I gently secured the cooler in a vice and and patiently tried to coax them off. No luck. Then tried to heat and cool them. No luck. Tried tapping, tried and tried and tried. The after hours upon hours I applied muscle and waaa laaa the darn thing snapped off with the nut still snuggly attached.

So I had to order and wait for a new oil cooler. Everything is now buttoned up and no leaks....so far.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
both tranny and oil coolers are known for snapping fittings. If the the repair time sensitive, for a trip, I always order which ever cooler and new hoses at the same time. IF I luck out and can save a cooling unit I return it to save the customer money.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The rubber is attatched to your cover, but it will get haard and start scratching away at the corner of the condenser. I took a small chunk out and it is fine now. Yours may not be touching and has been taken care of. Best explanation is the pic above.
Good Luck with pipes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an older post. My prob is with changing the tranny cooler line how do you get to the upper line on the tranny? I can almost get a wrench on it, but seems the housing is to close to the nut?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
jteuvonnen
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing