RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Around 4.2 litres should remain in the sump, the dry fill is around 9.3 litres.

When servicing you should only get around 4.2 to 4.4 litres out..

smell is a good indication as well as colour
The smell was not anything particular, just the usual ATF smell, and I did get out about 4 liters (it filled little less than half of my 3 gallon oil jug).

An update, I drove the car for 90 miles at highway speed 65-80 mph, with the temperature outside right around 35 Fahrenheit, the rpm was hovering around 4200 ( car riding in 3’d) and the temperature gauge actually went left of the center towards cold, (I read here that this was to be expected, despite “feeling” counterintuitive). Anyway on the way back with temperature outside in the sixties, and after driving around 70 miles, the car’s rpm started hesitating and ....the 4th gear engaged, so the last 20 miles was a joyous drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good news nosync.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hopefully it's fixed - but if it helps here's a post with a TSB relating to the box and various diagnostic processes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is also some interesting info -> http://rave.stringsandints.com/Land Rover 4-speed Electronic Automatic Trasmission System.pdf

I have been reading about the gearbox converter lockup being influenced by temperature - i.e. cold start mode may not trigger lockup solenoid to allow things to come up to temperature faster. I'm wondering if the temperature change was a factor and you have a dodgy sensor reading? Pure speculation as I'm no expert on auto boxes but there may be something look into. Could have been a sticky lockup solenoid or gearbox oil temperature reading?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Easy enough to check the torque converter clutch lock up but that isn't the problem here. If you start the car from cold then drive for 3 or 4 miles at a constant speed (around 60 mph is most noticeable). As things warm up the revs will suddenly drop by about 500 rpm while maintaining the same speed, that is when the clutch locks up. Even easier to tell if the clutch has locked up or not by just lifting off the throttle. If the revs stay the same and you start to slow down, the clutch is locked up, if the revs drop when you lift off, it isn't, In this case, it isn't lock up, it isn't, or wasn't, changing up to 4th.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts